What breed of chicken do you recommend?

Hi Chook School!
welcome-byc.gif

For kids I'd go with Cochin bantams. They are very calm and docile and make great pets.

Quote:
I'd mostly think so, too. Am I correct in thinking that a number of Cochin roos can be a bit feisty in guarding their hens, however???

Quote:
My faverolles are very gentle and so are my Marans they love to be petted and I have had many neighbors between the ages of 2-7 handle them. They are my calmest sweetest chickens and are a joy to handle!

You wanted chickens that lay well, too, right? Black Australorps lay beautifully, are sweet and fluffy and all, etc. There's nothing more beautiful than the green sheen of their feathers in the sun.

But you also sad something uncommon. Around here buff orps, anyway, are almost de rigeur among the backyard fanciers, but maybe that's not true everywhere?

Myself,, I love th look of a mixed flock ranging about the place How about some 'Lorps, some Hamburgs and some Ameracaunas? All lay well and are friendly and perky as all get out.

best.

Two docile, good-looking laying breeds I like are Speckled Sussex and Partridge Rocks. I like a mixed bouquet of birds in my laying flock, and these two breeds add a lot of beauty to the bunch.

For breeds that are good with kids, I'd go with the hybrid layers, the Black and Red Stars, they're bred for docility. Or bantam breeds that aren't too flighty. I've heard that Pekin Bantams are supposed to be a good first breed for kids, especially the hens. But with 4-year-olds in school, you probably won't want any roosters, otherwise you'll have a lot of 'splaining to do...

Quote:
Are they mean?

My Marans are like house pets they love to be scratched and come running like little piggies. My EE was alittle more aggressive and my Ameraucana that I bought as adults are skitish as anything. I would suggest Marans, Faverolles, and Buff Orphingtons.

Henry

My Buff Orpingtons are my favorite. They are beautiful to look at and have great personalities. I get an egg every 1-2 days from each of them. My others (Barred Rock, EE) aren't laying yet, so I can't really compare as far as who are the best layers. I do have 2 Maran hens and I've only gotten one egg from the two of them in two weeks. I have some Leghorn chicks coming this week that are strictly for egg production.

Back
Top Bottom