What breed of chicken do you recommend?

RW19290

Songster
11 Years
Oct 1, 2008
Southern California
I am thinking of getting MORE chickens cause i have enough room.
(yes i've gotten chicken addict)

So, I'm wondering if any of you BYCers can tell me what breed you recommend. Keep in mind that I'm looking for a docile breed that is good-looking. Laying is pretty important. I'd like a breed that is unusual.

Once again, Thanks for reading! Ruby

I'm sure you'll get as many favorites as there are members on here, but I'll have to go with the Buff Orpingtons, as my first pick. Sure, they're just a big ol' yellow ckicken. I guess I am chosing comfort over style these days. They are good layers of nice sized eggs, good foragers, easy to handle, don't get to upset when you almost run over them with the tractor, don't hold a grudge and always come running when you call them to dinner. We only have a few types of birds around here, but any new additions will be BOs.

Last edited:
Easter Eggers: come in many colors, and lay unusually colored eggs. Many have nice temperaments. It's hard to predict without knowing the specific parents, because they are often crosses of Ameraucanas or Araucanas and other breeds.

My Marans are not good layers but hey have beautiful and amazing eggs and are very friendly girls! I have heard Welsummers are better layers of dark eggs. EE's laying varies greatly and all may not lay the desired color of eggs. Ameraucana lay fairly well.

What I recommend in Faverolles!!! they are docile beautiful and unusual and mine are fantastic layers!

Good luck everyone will have different opinions for you.

Henry

Wow what a loaded question, you should get plenty of good responses. My choice would be EE's also== pretty birds of many colors good colored egg production, and a good lap chicken. they also will answer to cute girly names LOL.

Both sex-link breeds are great and you couldn't ask for better layers, I like my black stars.
And my cinnamon queens are hard to beat.
And a great sweet breed is the black australorp, and they are good layers.

Since we are on the subject, can anybody recommend breeds that are good with kids?

Our town just approved chicken keeping and my daughter's school wants chickens! Of course, I volunteered to find out the basics and was THRILLED to find this site!

We would like chickens that lay eggs, but are more interested in a calm chicken that could hold their own against well meaning 4 year olds.

Of course, they will not be free-ranging together, so to speak.

thank you!

I like my Hamburgs. (Golden Penciled variety.) They aren't cuddly but i don't have time to cuddle with a chicken. LOL

They are beautiful and rare.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom