What breed of chicken is this? If a chicken at all!!! šŸ¤£

Yes, itā€™s a chicken. But not a speckled Sussex. Or itā€™s a really bad example of SS. The feathers arenā€™t ā€œspeckledā€ and leg color is not correct.
Thank you, and they came from tractor supply originally, so there is a good chance they arenā€™t the best stock and could be mixed with some other chicken

I was going to say brown leghorn pullet, but they have pinkish white legs, like my Sussex (I have lights) so I would agree with speckled sussex

Speckled Sussex are not a common offering at TSC, which is another reason to be skeptical of calling them SS! Still, cute chicks.
Thank you, and how strange... we try not to buy chicks from tractor supply, so ours all came from breeders nearby and the. A friend gave us these three and then some white broilers he purchased from there as well. Just figured out the breed for the other chicks like 20 min ago šŸ˜‚

I promise I'm not trying to be that person but before I knew a little about chickens my broilers died from being overweight they arent like a regular chicken they die because they are meant to be eaten in a certain amount of time i hope yours don't but mine always did it was really sad

Thank you, and how strange... we try not to buy chicks from tractor supply, so ours all came from breeders nearby and the. A friend gave us these three and then some white broilers he purchased from there as well. Just figured out the breed for the other chicks like 20 min ago šŸ˜‚
Maybe they are SS. How old? We got SS chicks last fall from a hatchery. Ok examples of SS, a few issues (including mild wry tail). This spring we got 3 from a breeder and they look to be better examples of the breed. The current ones are 9 weeks old, and have some nice speckles. I looked back at pics of them at 3 weeks old and they didnā€™t have much speckling, so maybe if yours are SS, and only a few weeks old, they will display the speckles soon.

I promise I'm not trying to be that person but before I knew a little about chickens my broilers died from being overweight they arent like a regular chicken they die because they are meant to be eaten in a certain amount of time i hope yours don't but mine always did it was really sad
I had done research after I realized what they were. We keep all of our hens for eggs and then our extra roosters for meat, so I do understand. We are going to go ahead and do something before they end up being in too much pain and die on their own bc of leg or heart failure

Back
Top Bottom