What breed of chicken should I get?

tiddlywinks

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 22, 2014
Hi! I was thinking about getting chickens and was wondering what kind of breed would be right for me? I would like them to be kind of small (around 5-7 pounds), quiet, friendly and be good in a coop since I live in the city. Any suggestions? Thanks!
big_smile.png

Ameraucana are cute birds that don't get huge. They lay colored eggs usually green and have a muff. Salmon Faverolle are friendly birds as well. Wellsummer lay an extra dark brown egg and are lovely birds. I would recommend steering clear of leghorn, Egyptian Fayoumis, and all colors of Campine chickens. They are not friendly birds and the Fayoumis is extra loud. They also fly very well. Good luck with your new chicks.

We started out with Wyandottes and they seem very easy to take care of....oh and they tend to lay lots of eggs!

Easter eggers and Americana's are cool, they're docile and lay green and blue eggs :)

GOOD LUCK!!

Also, I would like them not to get broody. Probably the most important thing, though, is the chickens to be very quiet.

I've had Speckled Sussex and they were quiet and I have both Easter Eggers and Ameraucanas now and love them. They "talk" to me when they see me and want me to hang out with them but they aren't loud in general. Sweet and are fun to watch. They handle being cooped up in a small run well. I had mine in a run made out of my son's trampoline for two years before building my large run that I have now.

I've heard that Golden Comets are nice and friendly. Does anybody know if they are loud of not? Thanks!
smile.png

welcome-byc.gif

If you're this concerned about noise, you might want to re-think chickens altogether. Hens make lots of noise, especially around laying time. They cackle and squawk and carry on like they've just cured cancer each time they lay an egg! You might browse you tube for some videos showing how loud they are. It's a normal thing for a hen. Yes, some are quieter than others, but each bird is an individual.

If birds are illegal where you live, you might check out the section on laws and how to change them. Always better to be legal, not scared every time your hen sounds off!

It is legal to have chickens where I live. I understand that hens make some noise, especially when they lay an egg. What time of day do most hens lay their eggs??

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom