what breed of roo?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by milquetoast, Jan 27, 2008.

1. milquetoast

milquetoast New Egg

Jan 27, 2008
    hello!
    i have a small backyard flock that i am looking at adding to. i would like to get a few more layers, but also a roo. the girls need some protection, as we have had issues with hawks, racoons and a neighborhood dog. [​IMG]

i live in an suburban area with my children, soooo a gentelman who is polite, protective, quiet-ish and friendly would be ideal. breed wise, looking for a roo who is a dual purpose breed, and who carries a brown or tinted egg gene. oh, not asking too much am i? can he cook and clean too? [​IMG]

any whoo thinking of the following big guys:
    brahma, jersey giant, BO, langshan, sussex, EE

what are ya'lls experiences with the above boys, what about any other suggestions?

thanks!!
    'toast

2. Buster

Buster Back to Work

My speckled sussex and ee hens are the best in the coop IMO.

3. CovenantCreek

CovenantCreek Chicks Rule!

Oct 19, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    Where are you located? It appears that I have about a dozen young roos in need of good homes. Two of which appear to be a cross between a Delaware hen and an Araucana roo (this is just a guess, but one of them has no tail and the breeder doesn't keep any Manx Rumpless...). Most of my boys are Delawares, plus 3 BRs.

4. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    The only ones I've had on that list are the EE's. I'm having good luck with the guy I have now, but I had 3 meanies before. :mad:

I had an Australorp cross that was a really great rooster. He died defending his girls. [​IMG] He was really friendly, too. I do love my Australorp girls.

Of course I love my little Phoenix/Silkie cross, but he is small and
    couldn't take on anything bigger then a chipmunk. [​IMG] He's super sweet, though and a real cuddle bug and very good at acting like a big rooster.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2008
  5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

One consideration is not to keep a rooster who is way too large for your hens. For instance, I would not keep my Blue Orpington, Suede, as my main flock rooster with my various breeds because he is simply large enough to hurt most of my hens, even though they are all standard sizes. The Brahma may be too large for an Easter Egger hen, for example.

6. AtRendeAcres

AtRendeAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Clarion County
    I have Brahma Roo who is very sweet

7. Kentucky~Momma

Kentucky~Momma Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2007
    South Central Kentucky
    I have some surplus roos that I would be willing to part with too if you were near here, and they are some of the breeds you listed.

8. milquetoast

milquetoast New Egg

Jan 27, 2008
    ok, good to know. i hadn't thought of the issue of size for my girls, figured if they were all standards, they would all ...um... hook up... in a safe manner?? [​IMG]
    i hadn't considered an astralorp, are most of the roo's uber-mellow??
    my, my all these extra roosters! alas, i am a good bit from both ya'll, as i am in the st louis metro area. hubbie moved me to the city and any time he complains about the chickens/garden/toilet planter--i keep threatening goats as the next step towards my teeny tiny urban farm. that'll show him! [​IMG]
    'toast

9. Buster

Buster Back to Work

I know that it's not on your list, but salmon faverolle roosters are very calm. I don't have any complaints about mine.

10. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    My Barred Rock cockrels are the only ones I generally let in the pen with my hens.

Now, others do fly in, and the Sussex seem to be gentlemen as well... but I've always had good luck with the Barred Rocks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by