What breed roo is the best to have?

We have a lovely Splash Cochin rooster, Big Blue, who does a very nice job for us. He's fairly quiet, only a few little crows starting around 5:30am, though it's hard to hear him through the wood shed coop. He takes very good care of the Cochin hens and he's slowly involving the other breeds of ladies into his own little harem - gently and patiently. He's handleable, tolerant of us (dogs, cat, ducks, etc) and settles down once you're holding him. Best yet, he doesn't put up with any fussing among the ladies but he allows our very bossy Rhodies to dominate him.

Our rooster was a Barred Rock, and he was a very nice rooster. Not aggressive or mean with us (we could handle him as easily as the hens), he always looked for food for the girls, called to them to come and get it, and stood guard as they ranged. He was a good crower, but we didn't mind that. We had a little "adjusting" to do when we first got him, I wrote about it here: http://www.betterhensandgardens.com/2010/02/24/rooster-psychology-101/ You might enjoy it.
smile.png

Quote:
Mature hens will often beat up a young rooster mercilessly. He has to be able to dominate them, not just with strength but by force of personality. Some young ones can do it but most cannot. Part of it also depends on the hens' personalities. Some want to be dominated and some don't. A mature rooster will usually handle his own integration to a flock of hens quite well. He will immediately show his dominance by mating with them and the hens usually submit and accept him with little trouble. Sometimes the former dominant hen will put up a fight since she dows not want to give up her dominant position, but most mature roosters can handle that.

Young roosters are still maturing. Many are like an adolescent boy who first discovers girls and has no person and no social mores to keep him in line. The hormones are flowing and he just goes wild, chasing and harassing the hens or pullets. More mature roosters usually have their hormones under control and know how to treat a lady.

Some people think you can tell what a more mature rooster's personality is like. If he is the dominant rooster in the flock he is in, I'll agree with that. If he is not the dominant rooster in the flock and he gets moved to where he is the only rooster, his personality can undergo a change. He no longer has the dominant rooster to kleep him in check or to take charge of protecting the flock. This does not mean his personality will change, just that it can.

I do generally agree with Pop. If you are introducing a rooster to a flock of hens and there is no other rooster present, it is best to get a more mature rooster.

I have 3 roosters. An EE, a Buckeye, and a D'Uccle bantam. My favorite out of all is the EE, because he's very easy going, and lets my whole family pick him up without a fuss. He keeps his group of 5 EE hens in order, along with the Buckeye rooster, who is also a nice bird, just doesn't want to be fussed over, or picked up so much. The D'Uccle is awesome with people, a real lap chicken, but a real" tough guy" in the coop. Kind of a jerk to the others some times. I think he's got the "little man syndrome" lol. The EE will generally crow early morning, and some in the afternoon. The Buckeye has made no attempt yet, but he's 10 weeks old. The D'Uccle crows all day, but I like to hear them.

Quote:
What happens when you add a young rooster of about the same age is that the girls resent the intrusion of a stranger and most often shun him or even gang up on him. A mature cock will move right into his position of master of the flock and treat ladies and youngsters with dignity as he doesn`t have to grow through that "teenage boy" stage where he wants to fight or mount everything in sight. You won`t be dissapointed..........Pop

I have an Old English Game rooster. He's very well mannered to us humans. The hens have a different opinion! He is a bit of a brute to them. ~ Especially my lil' bantam hen he's tearing her up he loves her too much!
barnie.gif

I vote Buckeye. I have 2 and they arent aggressive towards me or the family. They dont like to be handled but they dont mess with me. Live and let live you might say.
thumbsup.gif

I thank everyone for their suggestions! Pop, I think what you said makes a lot of sense so a matured rooster it will be!!! Should I introduce him now before the hens start laying so they can get use to him or should I wait till I start getting eggs and let the hens get into the swing of that first? I think the RIR comment about the sex-linked and other pretty chickens was good too! BUT I heard a LOT of people say their BR Rooster is a good rooster to have so I'll continue to think of those 2 breeds. Any other suggestions to sway me would be appreciated! Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom