What breed roo is the best to have?

dee88

Chirping
9 Years
Jun 26, 2010
Texas
I know that I have 5 pullets, 2 BR, 1 EE, 1 BO and 1 RIR, all 12 to 13 wks. old. I'm "thinking" of getting a rooster. What rooster opinions can you share with me? Any particular breeds to sugges? Looking for a good rooster who will take care of their hens and be a family man! Maybe one that doesn't crow so much would be nice too!

I'm thinking that a barred rock rooster would be nice since I already have 2 BR hens

How much they crow is pretty individual. It is not a breed trait. There is no guarantee that a rooster of any breed will not crow much.

As far as which rooster to get, it is purely personal choice. Again, your criteria is not breed dependent. You can get a good rooster from any of those breeds. We can give you our personal preference but your goals and likes are going to be different from mine. What I like might not suit you at all.

Aww thats the best part of a rooster is his crow......I have 6 roosters now I love the sound in the morning as they each sound off and then as the day progresses and then again as the sun sets.......I love being in the country and they answer other peoples roosters and they crow back and forth I just sit out side and enjoy it.

If it were me, I'd definitly get an RIR roo. Only because if you ever wanted to hatch the eggs...

RIR x BR= Black Sex-Links!
RIR x EE= multi-colored bird that'll lay olive green or brown eggs
RIR x BO= a pretty bird (for me always golden, with a greenish black tail)
RIR x RIR= purebred RIR!

Also, RIR is one of the best laying breeds, and so his daughters should be excellent layers. Hope this helps!

I personally like my RIR rooster, many people have told me that this breed has mean roosters, he has only attacked me one because I scared him on accident, so it was my fault. He is full of personallity, and protects his Naked Neck Girl Friend. He is VERY alert, and immediately starts to crow when he sees me coming up the drive. I also have a young Ancona rooster, and I think he will be a great one too! Hope this helps,eventhough it is all my opinon.

Quote:
Ridgerunner is right. Get what pleases you. I do have one suggestion, though. Get a mature cock and not a youngster under a year and a half. A mature cock will take care of the ladies and be a family man as you desire. He will not abuse the youngsters and you can observe his aggressivenes, or lack thereof, before you take him home. Enjoy the boy. Roosters are special.........Pop

I have two roos for sure. My Gold Laced Polish is the big man on campus. He takes care of the ladies. He finds treats for them, calls them to it, and gives it to which ever one shows up first. He crows but not too much. I also have an EE roo but he is too little to crow yet. I forgot about my Black Copper Marans roo. He's only about 2 months old so not getting anything out of him yet. I'm sure which ever breed you decide will suit your needs. Good luck.

Quote:
Ridgerunner is right. Get what pleases you. I do have one suggestion, though. Get a mature cock and not a youngster under a year and a half. A mature cock will take care of the ladies and be a family man as you desire. He will not abuse the youngsters and you can observe his aggressivenes, or lack thereof, before you take him home. Enjoy the boy. Roosters are special.........Pop

A mature roo is best? wouldn't a young one kinda grow up with everybody and just fall into a pecking order?

I have read that Barred Rock rooster are the most docile roosters and make the best rooster for a family.
I had to send all my roosters to 'the farm' last night, and one was a BR roo, he is the only one i miss
sad.png

He was a darling
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom