What breed(s) is/are our hen?

SwampPrincessChick

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
Oct 30, 2022
The Swamp
Hello!
I'm pretty sure our hen, Potato, is a mix breed, but I still want to get it confirmed. She doesn't look like any breeds that I know of, and she has some strange characteristics that don't point me in any direction of a specific breed's genetics having been mixed in there. If she is a mix breed or a hybrid, which breed's genetics could she possibly have?

Also, if anyone could tell me which colors she has, that would be great! I am guessing some kind of buff/wheaten/white mix.

Here are some things about Potato:
  • We got her from a backyard breeder, which heavily makes me believe she is a mix of a lot of breeds.
  • Potato is one year old.
  • She lays light blue eggs, which is something that has been confusing me, since she looks nothing like any blue-layers I know of. We are pretty much sure that she is the one that is laying the light blue eggs, as we narrowed down who the eggs could be from.
  • Her temperament is flighty. She does not like to be anywhere near humans, but she will walk up to me when I am taking pictures of her.
  • She has a big, floppy comb, and big waddles, which are both bright red.
  • She has white earlobes.
  • Potato's body is skinny.
  • Her legs are a tan color.
  • She has gold-brown eyes.

Screen Shot 2022-11-05 at 8.49.56 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-11-05 at 8.50.06 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-11-05 at 8.50.19 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-11-05 at 8.50.34 PM.png

(She is in molt in the pictures. That's why she is missing some of her feathers.)

@SwampQueenChick

Last edited:
Hello!
I'm pretty sure our hen, Potato, is a mix breed, but I still want to get it confirmed. She doesn't look like any breeds that I know of, and she has some strange characteristics that don't point me in any direction of a specific breed's genetics having been mixed in there. If she is a mix breed or a hybrid, which breed's genetics could she possibly have?

Also, if anyone could tell me which colors she has, that would be great! I am guessing some kind of gold/wheaten/white mix.

• We got her from a backyard breeder, which heavily makes me believe she is a mix of a lot of breeds.
  • She lays light blue eggs, which is something that has been confusing me, since she looks nothing like any blue-layers I know of. We are pretty much sure that she is the one that is laying the light blue eggs, as we narrowed down who the eggs could be from.
  • Her temperament is flighty. She does not like to be anywhere near humans, but she will walk up to me when I am taking pictures of her.

View attachment 3313988
View attachment 3313989
View attachment 3313990
View attachment 3313991
(She is in molt in the pictures. That's why she is missing some of her feathers.)

@SwampQueenChick
She looks part leghorn. From what I know a white layer (Like leghorn) and a blue layer will make blue eggs.

She could also be part Whiting True blue, though I’m only suggesting that because they’re the only uncrested/ unmuffed breed I can think of.

Hello!

Also, if anyone could tell me which colors she has, that would be great! I am guessing some kind of gold/wheaten/white mix.

View attachment 3313988
View attachment 3313989
View attachment 3313990
View attachment 3313991

@SwampQueenChick
Potato is so fluffy and cute

She looks part leghorn. From what I know a white layer (Like leghorn) and a blue layer will make blue eggs.

She could also be part Whiting True blue, though I’m only suggesting that because they’re the only uncrested/ unmuffed breed I can think of.
I didn't know a white layer and a blue layer would make blue eggs!
Can Whiting True Blues be the same color as Potato?

I think she's just a very light Golden Buff, which is a Red Sex-link.
I thought Golden Buffs looked similar to Buff Orpingtons, I didn't know it was just another name for the Red Sex Link!

Her body is all BO but the prominence of her ears is throwing me off... the ears are definitely a different breed entirely. 😁
BO as in Buff Orpington? We have 2 of those and I haven't noticed any similarities in them. Are there different varieties of a Buff Orpington??

I didn't know a white layer and a blue layer would make blue eggs!
Can Whiting True Blues be the same color as Potato?

I thought Golden Buffs looked similar to Buff Orpingtons, I didn't know it was just another name for the Red Sex Link!

BO as in Buff Orpington? We have 2 of those and I haven't noticed any similarities in them. Are there different varieties of a Buff Orpington??
Nope, golden Buffs will vary, from bird to bird.

Orpington colors:
Buff

Jubilee

Blue

Black

Splash

Lemon Cuckoo

Crele

Red Crele

Red

Lavender

Chocolate

Cuckoo

Isabel Cuckoo

Blue Cuckoo

Silver Laced

Gold Laced

Chocolate Silver Laced

Partridge

Silver Partridge/Pencilled

White

Nope, golden Buffs will vary, from bird to bird.

Orpington colors:
Buff

Jubilee

Blue

Black

Splash

Lemon Cuckoo

Crele

Red Crele

Red

Lavender

Chocolate

Cuckoo

Isabel Cuckoo

Blue Cuckoo

Silver Laced

Gold Laced

Chocolate Silver Laced

Partridge

Silver Partridge/Pencilled
Oh, wow! I didn't know there were that many Orpington colors. I only knew the basic ones.

Back
Top Bottom