What breed?? So confused!

cmitchell2511

In the Brooder
Sep 13, 2022
North Mississippi
4D45045C-57A3-4112-9CF6-506379A586A9.jpeg
My silkie hatched this baby today and im confused. None of my big chicks were this color when they were chicks. I do have a black australorp rooster. I looked up pictures of similar chicks and they are pointing toward an austrawhite. (Clearly this is a barnyard mix, but thats besides the point) could that be what this baby is? I do not have an white leghorns that are of laying age so I guess thats why im confused LOL I hope this makes sense.

THANK YOU!!!

What breeds do you have? Any red sex links?
I have a black australorp roo, 3 silkies, golden comet, starlight green egger, cinamon queen and a black australorp hen!

The others that my silkie has hatched has looked like pure australorps so this one was a little odd to me lol, its also a lot bigger than the other chicks that have hatched.

What color are the legs? Based on what you have I would suspect it's a golden comet mix or maybe a cinnamon queen mix. Both of those can have lighter colored chicks, though some will be more tan or reddish also. Once it starts feathering out some it will be easier to tell. You can find pictures of both kind of chicks if you do a search. Being a mix, it's not likely to match anything exactly.

I have a black australorp roo, 3 silkies, golden comet, starlight green egger, cinamon queen and a black australorp hen!

The others that my silkie has hatched has looked like pure australorps so this one was a little odd to me lol, its also a lot bigger than the other chicks that have hatched.
The mother is probably a good comet or cinnamon queen (aka a red sex link). Most RSLs have white feathering on their tails and necks due to dominant white. Dominant white covers black, so when crossed to a solid black rooster, you can get some mostly white chicks.

The mother is probably a good comet or cinnamon queen (aka a red sex link). Most RSLs have white feathering on their tails and necks due to dominant white. Dominant white covers black, so when crossed to a solid black rooster, you can get some mostly white chicks.
Cinnamon Queens (Hoover's strain at least) are Silver Laced Wyandottes mixed with Rhode Island Reds and lack dominant white. I've seen many Starlight Green Eggers who are dominant white. From the given information I agree that it could be part Golden Comet but Starlight Green Egger is another possibility :)

Cinnamon Queens (Hoover's strain at least) are Silver Laced Wyandottes mixed with Rhode Island Reds and lack dominant white. I've seen many Starlight Green Eggers who are dominant white. From the given information I agree that it could be part Golden Comet but Starlight Green Egger is another possibility :)

To put it in very simple terms: the mother probably has a white tail, no matter what the hatchery called her or what color eggs she lays :D

(With the white tail being an indication of Dominant White, as you both said. And Dominant White is why the chick from a black rooster is mostly white instead of black.)

Back
Top Bottom