What breed to get???

What breed????

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Pics
Sapphire Gems tick off all of those boxes ! I own five or so of them. They are really friendly and actually lay almost 300 eggs per year ! They are not considered a production breed. They are cold and heat hardy . They hardly ever go broody, but when they do, they will hatch eggs, or never come out of it.
One of my favorite chickens is a sapphire gem. ❤️

Love the harry potter name. Is that your naming theme, or is luna here the odd one out? By theme I mean how I personally try to stick to food names for my hens.
Her coloring and lovely odd girl out was perfect for her name. We name all our chickens after women with two part names, fictional or historical. Right now we have Olivia Jade, Lo Bosworth, Sophie Germain, Lane Bryant, Lucille Roberts, Steffi Graf, Penny Marshall, Mrs Butterworth and Luna Lovegood. We have had Madame Curie, Florence Nightingale, and Arianna Huffington ti name a few...

I love the personality of my Dominique, friendly and curious, great forager.
We have a few flocks on my property.One consists of Silkies, Wyandottes, Easter Eggers, Olive Eggers and four(4) Dominiques.
Everybody pretty much gets along the Silkies form a tight pod and move about within their own group nobody really bothers them. But the Dominique's exhibit a pack mentality that is entertaining to watch. I like to describe it as a prison yard environment. They don't bully per se but there is a problem solving intelligence that they've exhibited that is hilarious. They work in groups and are very organized. At times my wife will lay out four food bowls in their area... one will have some treats... they'll send out a scout to see where the plate is that they most like and it's almost as if the Scout reports back and then the other three go to the plate and two will go to work while the other ones stand guard. There's no drama though, the other chickens know what's up and they casually move over to the next plates...and only when the Dominiques are done doing their thing do the other chickens come and see what's left on a treat plate... it's crazy. They are the quiet shot callers in that flock no doubt.

Her coloring and lovely odd girl out was perfect for her name. We name all our chickens after women with two part names, fictional or historical. Right now we have Olivia Jade, Lo Bosworth, Sophie Germain, Lane Bryant, Lucille Roberts, Steffi Graf, Penny Marshall, Mrs Butterworth and Luna Lovegood. We have had Madame Curie, Florence Nightingale, and Arianna Huffington ti name a few...
Those are some lovely names.

What breeds should I this spring
not sure what I really want to get

And for the Marans please say what type you would choose
Thanks!!!
We have Safire Olive Eggers and LOVE the consistency of eggs! We also have Cucka Marans and they do very well also. We live in Iowa. It’s COLD! We have 3 Silver Laced Wydonettes that should start laying in a couple weeks.

Nice and friendly will lay eggs for a few years but not a production breed
good cold and heat hardy and broody is not a care either is fine

according to what you want sussex light would match the best. they mature early, start laying at 4-5 mo, get big and their meat is tasty.

marans and brahma need more time to mature.

orpington (at least buff) lay smaller eggs and their meat is not tasty in case you butcher them.

I am not familiar with dominique chicken but it seems they are another good option for your needs.

Back
Top Bottom