What breed to get???

What breed????

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Pics
My absolute favorite current chicken is my Specked Sussex. She is sweet, curious, not flighty at all, and very friendly.

1671594163978.jpeg

Yes. I never knew it until I got one. Mine had such a bad crop problem that I dealt with it the whole time I had her. (There was a few breaks with the crop problems after she went through some special treatment. If I didn't do the treatment right, she'd get worse.) So because I had a crop problem hen, I ended up looking at other threads with hens with crop problems. That's when I learned that it's common for the Sussex to have crop problems. A good lot of the threads I was looking at the time of hens with a similar crop issues as mine had were Sussexes.

(Now I do know there's a difference in a lot of breeds which includes Sussexes if you buy them from hatchery or a breeder. Mine came from a hatchery, though I don't know where those other cases were from. It could be a hatchery defect, but I looked into it deep enough to know.)
None of mine have had any crop problems at all. 🤷‍♀️ In fact, they have been the healthiest breed for me.
But then, not being in the US, I guess one might get better strains here.

Edited Sorry I did not mean that to sound like the US has not got such good birds as here, just that my advice might not be applicable

I love the personality of my Dominique, friendly and curious, great forager.
We have a few flocks on my property.One consists of Silkies, Wyandottes, Easter Eggers, Olive Eggers and four(4) Dominiques.
Everybody pretty much gets along the Silkies form a tight pod and move about within their own group nobody really bothers them. But the Dominique's exhibit a pack mentality that is entertaining to watch. I like to describe it as a prison yard environment. They don't bully per se but there is a problem solving intelligence that they've exhibited that is hilarious. They work in groups and are very organized. At times my wife will lay out four food bowls in their area... one will have some treats... they'll send out a scout to see where the plate is that they most like and it's almost as if the Scout reports back and then the other three go to the plate and two will go to work while the other ones stand guard. There's no drama though, the other chickens know what's up and they casually move over to the next plates...and only when the Dominiques are done doing their thing do the other chickens come and see what's left on a treat plate... it's crazy. They are the quiet shot callers in that flock no doubt.

I voted Brahma. They're good in whatever temperature and may, may not go broody. They're a pretty bird though they can get interesting attatudes at times. As a heritage breed, they're not production and will lay longer. The Buff Brahma is my favorite color on them.

Orpingtons would be my second pick. Lavenders can be hard to find and expensive though.

Back
Top Bottom