what breed was your favorite roo?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by farmgirl77, Jul 20, 2010.

1. farmgirl77

farmgirl77 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2009
    What breed was your favorite roo and why was he your favorite?

2. PippyChicken

PippyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2009
    AL
    I like my turken rooster cause he's so darn cute! [​IMG]

3. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    I've only ever had one rooster, but he's the sweetest and gentlest little rooster I've ever met! He's a Serama. [​IMG]

4. lillypug

lillypug Fleur De Lis Farm

Mar 21, 2010
    Louisiana
    My favorite roo is a golden Sebright. His name is Pablo and he does the cutest little dance for the ladies. He also calls lets them know about treats. It really is so endearing. He is also a sweetheart to my children. That really matters to me.

5. bakerjw

bakerjw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Johnson City, Tn
    I only have 4 roos and they are my first. Two are White Leghorns with no real personality as of yet. The other 2 are Silver Sebrights names Laru and Black Bart.

Laru was the first to crow and became my favorite because he is the smaller of the 2. I had him out one evening and I started digging in some dirt for worms. He realized what I was doing and before too long was standing next to me watching eagerly for worms.

Bart is the louder of the 2 in the crowing department. He is also more friendly.

I do love my Sebrights. They are some of the cutest birds I've ever seen.

6. Wayne

Wayne Out Of The Brooder

Oct 7, 2008
    Hillsborough, NC
    We got our 1st Roo from Craigslist - last week. He is a year old Buff Orpington aptly named BO... We have 4 hens and 6 pullets, the pullets are 19 weeks old . Total flock = 9 BO and 1 Barred Rock.

When 'BO' was placed in the run, he thru his chest back and patrolled the area, all of the pullets flocked to him, he began to scratch and find tidbits and then would back up and let the ladies have whatever he had uncovered. He is a gentleman and a wee bit shy, also the last one out of the coop everyday.

The fighting has ceased and the pullet with the bloody head is healing well, I knew I needed and 'office manager' to help the ladies get along with each other, but 'BO' has surpassed all that I expected...

wayne

7. 33yardbirds

33yardbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Southern New Jersey
    RIR, the taller the better. Barred Rock 2nd choice which I have now.

8. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2008
    Portage County, Ohio
    My best roos have been RIRs. two good ones, other nice ones but the RIRs were the best. I don't make pets out of mine though they are usually friendly enough and easy to treat well.

9. Ariel301

Ariel301 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Kingman Arizona
    My favorite is my current rooster. He is a blue Old English Game Bantam named "King Henry". I like him for his attitude. He's all of maybe a pound and a half, if that, but he rules the farm. He protects his hens very well, is pretty gentle with them, but if anyone messes with them, watch out! I've seen him try to take on two or three New Hampshire roosters at a time and he won't give up! He's just a really pretty rooster too, and his crow is not very loud so he does not bother anyone.

10. cami

cami Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2010
    my silky smurf [​IMG] hes a sweety

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by