What breed will you never have again? Me? It's...

gritsar

Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!
14 Years
Nov 9, 2007
SW Arkansas
salmon faverolles. I was hesitant to get them because I read on Hendersons Chicken Chart that they are prone to being bullied. That statement couldn't be further from the truth with the 19 week old trio I have now. Mean, mean birds. Skittish with humans and mean with the other birds. They go around looking for fights to pick. Never again.
*Mine are hatchery quality, so maybe it doesn't apply to all SFs.

What breed will you never have again?

Quote:
ME too! and mine weren't hatchery-and he was a JERK!!! he's gone now
tongue.png

I absolutely loved my salmon fav hens (didn't have any roos). they were very laid back and sweet. I had buff orps- rotten rooster. but brahmas I won't have and it's not because they are not nice birds, they are really nice, but .... they are a big bird, grow slowly and eat a lot of food. they don't lay any larger eggs or any more often then my other breeds maybe less but the food bill was way too much for what I was getting back from them. if I grew them to eat them, they'd eat me out of house and home first.

Silver-laced Wyandottes!!

Ours are grumpy,pick on the other chickens,are not easy to catch and almost impossible to hold and handle. On top of that they make screeching sounds that remind me of gunieas.

Our Buff Orpingtons are the sweetest and the Black Australorps will climb right into your lap. No more Wyandottes for us!!!!

Our Dominiques are great, friendly and easy to handle even though we got them as adults. The buff orpington, on the other hand, we got as a tiny ball of fluff, spent time under a heat lamp in our living room, was handled by a kid every day, fed tons of treats, and is flighty, fearful, hard to catch, and picks fights.

Cochins. Mine was a totally creepy bird, and her feet were always filthy.

She ripped out two of my hens' beards once, and she was scared of people.

I don't think I've had any that I wouldn't have again, but there is one breed that I will never have...those are RIR. When I was growing up dad had some of these, and they were the meanest roosters I've ever seen! I will also never have a white leghorn rooster, though I love my white leghorn hen. I really liked the brown leghorns I had too though
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom