What Breed?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by 3boysforme, Jul 24, 2014.

1. 3boysforme

3boysforme In the Brooder

Apr 29, 2014
    California
    So I got 4 more chickens from a friend today. I know 2 of them are barred rock and the other two I'm not exactly sure on. I was able to get in contact with the original owner and she said one (the one with the red comb and waddle) is a dark cornish. The other one (has the black comb/waddle/legs) she isn't sure about. She said it may be a black sex-link crossed with an oliver egger but she doesn't know for sure as she had a lot of chickens and roos. Any one have any thoughts on what it could be? Also, someone else suggested that the one with the red waddle/comb was dubbed and that it may be a roo. I'm not sure what they're seeing that I'm not. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. soydo

soydo Chirping

Jun 29, 2014
    That one indeed is a dark cornish hen. It's not dubbed, just has the Pea Comb which is supposed to look like that. Different from the usual comb with the spikes. Look at pictures of cornish, brahmas and see they have similar small or smallish combs often sort of funky looking.

The other one is a young female(pullet) and would easily pass for a black sex link. You wouldn't be very wrong to call it one even if it was a black sex link crossed with something else as sex links are crosses anyways and she doesn't look any different from them.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
  3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Crowing

Jul 24, 2013
    X2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by