What breeds are "hot" for 2010?

I have seen alot of people asking about the Crele Color and I have had a ton of people asking about Rose Comb R.I. Red's...

Chris

I don't know about everyone else but I am after some nice Dominiques and some "real" Ameraucanas.

I've been paying attention to dual-purpose birds like Buckeyes.

I think that unless you only have a couple birds, as prices of everything are going to go up this year, you're going to want to pick your breeds more carefully. Having "fun" breeds are going to lessen in the next year. Electricity, LP, and fuel are going up quite a bit around here. I think that will slow down the "fun"breeds and people will focus on "useful" breeds.

Don't get me wrong. A broody Silkie is very useful, but I just think that the people who raise hundreds of a breed to pick a couple for show may have a hard time selling the "seconds" in the next year or two.

Just my 2 cents. With the economy... worth much less than that
lol.png

I've never really owned them, but i have to say Delawares are becoming "hot" this seasonas well as plymouth rocks. I wish I could own some. But as for color, I think lavender, crele, barred and gold or silver lacing are the "in thing" right now.

OMW!!!!! I love chickens u guys
love.gif

my personal quest is BLRW's.. I think they are hot... and I think lavender Orps is still a hot bet. Silkies will never be out of the hot loop in my opinion and then....

Who wouldn't like a Blue laced wyanodotte???? I ask you... whoo????
cool.png

I think rarer heritage breeds which are usually breeds with purpose, as another poster said - like Buckeyes. As "green" is becoming more and more trendy, more and more people will turn to breeds that are supporting a trendy cause - such as a critically-listed breed, especially one that is dual-purpose....IMHO.

I think any dual purpose bird will be hot with the economy the way it is. Good layers, good meat, hardy, pretty, rare and close to SOP. Any breed with these will always be hot imo! In my case wyandottes and sussex. Cant afford the coronation but sure am loving the buffs and lights! Think I'll stick with these and make em the best I can. Gonna add the partridge wyandottes this spring so I'm excited about these!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom