What breeds are these 2 hens?

happyhens

Songster
12 Years
Jan 30, 2007
KY
I had these hens a couple of years ago, and they were broody machines! One was killed by a fox, along with her 5- 1 month old chicks
sad.png
The other disappeared one night, don't know for sure what happened to her. They were very wild and would not stay in the coop. They lived outside and roosted in the big barn, and lived for much longer than I expected them to (because of predators) But I just didn't have the heart to keep them penned up all the time. They even raised 3 or 4 batches of chicks out there. I was never sure what breeds they were, some type of game hens?
Hen #1 (sorry you can't see her better, I don't have a better picture of her. She was the same shape and size of the hen below, just a different color)
c8cb1a9a.jpg

Hen #2 Cleopatra (please ignore the dirty barrel, that was a very temporary setup!)
Picture001.jpg

*edited to resize a pic*

Last edited:
Quote:
No, she was smaller than those breeds. And they don't go broody often, right? This hen started laying really early, laid about 4 eggs (I'm not kidding!) and went right to work being broody.
*edited to add- she had a black tail, if that helps any. The rest of her was red, and she had black streaks on her back and near her tail, and as you can see she also had black streaks on her neck.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom