What breeds are these adults?

labsnchickens

Chirping
11 Years
May 15, 2012
Just got our first chickens, just picked some out of an old man's flock and was wondering if yall could verify the breeds he said they were. The only two I don't know are the rooster and the bantam.

Red sussex?

Americana?

Some kind of bantam :

And most importantly the rooster:

Your red hen is likely a production red or mixed breed red hen.
The second bird is an easter egger.
Don't know the bantam.
The rooster looks to be a barnyard mix.

1. Production Red agreed
2. Easter Egger agreed
3. ? Could be a Silver Spangled Hamburg with a single comb, doees it have feathered legs? idk
4. Looks like a mix. looks like our marans outside (ours has mixed colors and follows the french standard which requires feathered shanks)

not all marans have feathered legs

The original French birds have feathered legs, but this characteristic has been bred out of the British and many American lines

yes i agree its bred out but then it really isnt a true marans

so much so that even in Britain the French Copper Marans and French Copper Blue Marans is the more desirable one

Last edited:
im looking for some that lay very dark eggs the ones i have right now lay about 4-5 and sometimes a 6
sad.png
i want some that are around the 7-9 area but havent really been able to find any

EggsColourChart.JPEG

most here want the french standard and if i remember right its in our standards book that they need feathered shanks (i really need to get a copy of that book
hide.gif
for my reference's on my bantams, just havent gotten around to getting a copy yet)

Last edited:
im looking for some that lay very dark eggs the ones i have right now lay about 4-5 and sometimes a 6
sad.png
i want some that are around the 7-9 area but havent really been able to find any

EggsColourChart.JPEG

most here want the french standard and if i remember right its in our standards book that they need feathered shanks (i really need to get a copy of that book
hide.gif
for my reference's on my bantams, just havent gotten around to getting a copy yet)

That shouldnt be hard to get hold of

i myself have 3 pure FCMs

considering the egg laying capability was over powered by the colour of eggs there should be some good examples out there

the welsummer is another that lays choco brown eggs

but again is a poor layer as they where selectivly bred for teh colour rather than quantity of eggs

Back
Top Bottom