What Breeds Are We? (X4)

SchmidtChicks

Chirping
Apr 4, 2020
Qld, Australia
Hey All,

Our friends moved a few weeks ago, and as such left their 4 chickens with us. I know one has a deficiency of sorts that they had no intention of fixing, she eats/drinks/lays perfectly fine, just has a twisty neck...

They are, and always will be, housed separate to our chooks.

Can you help me work out their breeds? They have no idea as they were for their kids only and now we think we may be stuck with them. And, I'd like a rough idea as we are hatching 5 eggs from them under our Silkie girl (maybe more eventually).

I assume 1, 2, + 4 are Easter Egger types, but Mother Hen definitely has me curious.

#1 // TWISTY // has a twisty neck, lays Green Eggs
20201111_170712.jpg
20201111_170750.jpg

#2 // ELSA // lays Green Eggs
20201111_170727.jpg

#3 // MOTHER HEN // lays White Eggs
20201111_170734.jpg 20201111_170756.jpg

#4 // TURBO // does not lay eggs ... is annoying of a morning, but hes nice at least 😂
20201111_170804.jpg

Oh I've never heard of Dorkings, I looked them up in here and that would definitely explain the funky extra toe Mother Hen has!- she's never hatched eggs, but our friends kids named them hahah
With the extra toe she is definitely a Dorking! I was going to ask if you hadn't mentioned it.

The other birds' crests are throwing me off. But the first hen has a blue pattern (This is not the breed just the coloring), second has a splash pattern, and your rooster is a lavender of some sort.

I would say they are EE's, but that crest...

@TheOddOneOut
@Overo Mare
@OneHappyRooster

With the extra toe she is definitely a Dorking! I was going to ask if you hadn't mentioned it.

I had completely forgotten to mention it in the post. Until I read the Dorking description and remembered- I'll have to get another photo that shows it, but it always had me curious.

I was looking at other descriptions, and thought maybe #1 Twisty and #4 Flash are EE x Polish (?)

We have 17 chooks total, and I know a baseline breed for everyone (Isa, Austra x, RIR x, Silkie, Pekin, Sussex x, etc)- but I feel like these may end up permanent residents despite being reassured they wouldn't be in the start 😂 so curiousity got this cat

@SBF- bit of blurry photos because I zoomed into them and cropped - but they should show the extra toe here almost looks like the ground almost but visible.

20201111_233354.jpg
20201111_233616.jpg

^this one is from above but zoomed in to just feet

Yeah! I've always thought Dorkings were a cool breed. I know there are some users on here who have them and LOVE them!!!

The only description she doesn't fit is Temperament 😂 "Friendly, Docile, Easily Handled" = Not mother hen - she picks on our Pekin (through a fence) who has a duckling at foot, and runs if it even LOOKS like you want to touch her hahah

Editted- BUT we have 2 of her eggs under my Silkie Pullet, it'll be interesting to see what hatches.

Back
Top Bottom