What breeds have friendly roosters?

Well my frist thought is a silkie roo or show girl roo... But then again it may be an age thing when you get them.... all of mine were eggs and grew up with us from day one & that included an RIR roo I now know he was the best RIR roo to hear of, well something killed a hen & him one day so we had to find another rir roo so I bought one that was about 4 months old & he was the roo from the devil @7 months old he was put down. But I cant say RIR are bad roos because our 1st one we raised from a chick was sweet, I seen that when bringing up a roo You have to be boss, so with our 1st RIR I did what I seen, NEVER let them mate a hen in frount of you, so I would kick tords him he would run they say never let a rir roo get friendly with you if they got to close swing an arm or a bucket. Thats what I did from day 1 once we knew he was a roo & he was the best roo ( aside from my silkie/show girl roos) well I tried what i learn on the replacement roo - he wanted me dead I took all I could, I could not go in the coop I would have to block my pop door so he could not get in while I refilled the food & stuff & get eggs - last week it was windy and the bucket i used to block the pop door blew in the pen & he was at me that fast, what ever i put in front of me he attact it, he had my hens tore up. so he was put down, I have hatched out a few of there eggs and hope to have a roo we can raise from day one again.... on another note I love the way silkie roo's treat there hens they seem more like couple's paired up & my 4 year old grandson can go right in the coop & pick one up.... I feared what that RIR would have done to him & thats why he is gone.. If you have a certain breed you want just start out with a chick, a very young chick.

Starting with a chick may work and may not. I had one that we raised, partridge x barred rock,..lovely boy. He was a real gentleman to me and was friendly to the kids and seemed to take care of his girls. When he hit about 6 months old,..he started killing my hens. He killed a BO and tryed to kill the other BO we had. He never showed no aggression toward anything else,..needless to say, he went to freezer camp. Not sure why he did this,..maybe he didn't like buff girls or he just was mental. No rooster here for now,,..still debating having another. I have had three,..and they ALL had one problem or another. The other two liked to attack my kids,..and the dogs,..and anything else that moved.
roll.png

My Light Brahma roo, Jack, is a darling. He went through a short period of time where he was ornery with my husband, but once he got out of his teenage phase it was all good. He's great at watching out for trouble and finding noms for the girls. He will patiently let me carry him all over the place and he only gives me the stink eye once in a blue moon.

50603_bigjack.jpg

so far for me games are at the top of the list.. the only ones i havent seen agression in
like this guy here watlks around the yard no problem can be picked up by an adult like a small child..
they are built tough and dont mind the rough play of kids or just being carried..so for people i say the best
around other males..aaa thats tough to do..ive done it i have 5 games loose without a single problem but there is
the tough guy once in a while and they usually go..

PTDC0002.jpg

I think i am renameing my evil roo,Rambo, to stew:lol:. He just killed one of my chicks so he is totally GONE!
somad.gif

Back
Top Bottom