What breeds of turkeys do you guys have????

What breeds do you guys have????

• Black Turkey

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • Chocolate Turkey

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Bourbon Red Turkey

Votes: 9 40.9%
  • Narragansett Turkey

Votes: 8 36.4%
  • Blue Slate Turkey

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • White Turkey

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • Bronze Turkey

Votes: 11 50.0%
  • Royal Palm Turkey

Votes: 9 40.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Have you raised them from chicks? Or from young? I have a dark one that I don't know what she is. She came from a farm that had royal palm, blue slates, and recently acquired bourbon reds. They had no clue when she hatched what happened there.
Post a picture. There are several possibilities of dark colored birds from those combinations.

Post a picture. There are several possibilities of dark colored birds from those combinations.
I was thinking bronze. And someone else here thought bronze too. But who knows? It could just be some weird genetics in play as well. She is super shy and timid. She avoids all conflict or any perceived conflict. The others will run up to me and she just says "I'll stay back here thank you."

Attachments

• IMG_2147.JPG
    IMG_2147.JPG
    747.2 KB · Views: 8
Have you raised them from chicks? Or from young? I have a dark one that I don't know what she is. She came from a farm that had royal palm, blue slates, and recently acquired bourbon reds. They had no clue when she hatched what happened there.
Chicks. We buy then annually from a semi local farm store.
They are hard to breed because of the toms colossal breast meat.
This years tom is close to 45/50#.

I'm with y'all. They are my pets. My mom tells me I'm wasting my money because I won't eat them. But first of all. I don't eat my chickens or ducks either so. And second, I've never eaten turkey so what's the difference?
We kept one as! A pet, in the 4 years doing this. Her name is blue.

I was thinking bronze. And someone else here thought bronze too. But who knows? It could just be some weird genetics in play as well. She is super shy and timid. She avoids all conflict or any perceived conflict. The others will run up to me and she just says "I'll stay back here thank you."
Our bronzes..
IMG_20160605_153706.jpg

I am not sure what yours is..

I would say that it is definitely not a bronze. She looks like she is exhibiting traits from the Black Winged Bronze (b1) gene and the Gray [semi-gray] (cg) gene and possibly even the Narragansett (n) gene which would indicate that her father was a Royal Palm and she is some type of cross. She appears to be at an in between stage and does not appear to have all of her mature feathers yet. Once she has all of her mature feathers you can check her against Porter's Phenotypes and Genotypes page.

Back
Top Bottom