What breeds? Please =) New pics page 3 - PIC HEAVY

Quote:
Chick A is definately a SUSSEX.

If any of the chicks have any white feathers in the wings that wouod indicate a Speckled Sussex. So hatchery stock welsummers will have a white feather, but it will not be solid white usually, and I have seen it mostly in hatchery stock roosters over 6 months old.

Nate

Thanks Nate.

These are definitely hatchery stock. One day I would like to be on a farm and breed my favorites but I don't know enough about it yet to do it properly, so hatchery stock is great for me now.

The real sad thing is that chick A is the one that the hatchery said was the Russian Orloff because of those white feathers. I told him that it looked a lot like my Speckled Sussex did at this age and that everyone on the boards voted Sussex as well. So maybe B and C are the only ones in question. They are the same breed. They have feathered out differently than A and got tail feathers before A as well. Maybe they are either the Orloffs or Welsummers because the hatchery said they shipped me orloffs, welsummers and sussex. I did lose one "chipmunk" in shipping (she was one out of the 4 that died in shipping) so that could have been a welsummer or orloff as well.

DAWN

Quote:
Your blue is definitely a blue bird not a splash, I do not believe that she is a Marans. Splash birds have 2 copies of the blue gene which dilutes them to a white, but it is not a true white it looks to have a pale pale blueing to it, but still appears white. Splash birds also have random feathers of darker blue and lighter blue flecked throughout their bodies. Splash are also silvery white chicks upon hatch.
Your little black one is looking like a cuckoo, you should start to see some barring coming in pretty soon on the wings as that is where it is noticeable first. They do not have barring when they are hatched, takes a couple of weeks. Did this bird or does this bird have a white spot on its head?
Also, sad to report that the hatchery unfortunately did not send you any Welsummers........DARN IT!
edited to add: after looking at the photos again.........IF the hatchery sent you a Welsummer like they said they did.....the only one that might could POSSIBLY be a Wellie would be chipmunk B, is it possible to get a photo of this chick showing the chipmunky stripes down the back and the top of the head? I'm still thinking that they didn't send you a Wellie, but lets see if another photo of the the back and head will help.

Last edited:
53380_4-16-10_552.jpg

this one is a California White (hybrid layer)....a mix of Leghorn hen and California Grey Roo........but yours could be different

Last edited by a moderator:
To me they all say Sussex with what looks to be white legs. Russian Orloff chicks almost look like New Hampshire Red/Rhode Island Red/Buckeye chicks. They do not even sport the "chipmunk" pattern at all. And the SS seem to be more of a mahogany brown than a true brown like the welsummers.

I have raised all 3: Welsummers, Speckled Sussex, and Russian Orloffs.
Now I only have the Welsummers, no speckled sussex, but light sussex. And looking for Russian Orloffs from Duane Urch's Flock.

Nate

Hollywood~
This could very well be a Welsummer.

Can you post another photo from the top so we can see this chicks back and can you post another photo of this chick from the side so we can see the feather pattern better? Thanks.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom