what breeds sell the best?

wjallen05

Songster
11 Years
Apr 8, 2008
North Georgia
I am going to be placing an order with Ideal on Monday. They have a few different breeds avail for shipping the end of the month.
celebrate.gif

I am getting for myself: Buff, Black and White Silkies, and a few Leghorn pullets and maybe some RIR pullets too.

I am thinking about maybe ordering some extras to raise up and sell what I decide not to keep for myself. What breeds sell the best out of these three:
RIR, Leghorn and Easter Eggers.

Or should I just get enough for myself?

And how in the world do the chicks stay warm during shipping?

I asked the feedstore owner here that very question the other day. She gets 5000 or so birds from Ideal over the course of a year and then she sells started or adult birds from a friend (and sometimes sells my extras). She said, without hesitation, RIRs. But it will vary by your location. I think for great layers, RIRs, and for novelty, Ameraucanas and Easter Eggers (though, you wont get any Ameraucanas at these hatcheries and EEs can also lay tan/brown eggs, being mixed breeds).

They stay warm with body heat from each other during shipping, but it's best not to ship in extremely hot or cold weather. Either can cause them not to make the trip.

Back
Top Bottom