What breeds should I get?

You can't really go wrong, your choices are well thought out. I gave feedback only on the breeds I raise. Just based on my first hand experience if you had
Either DB or Cochins
BCM
CLB
and EE's you would have Light and Dark brown eggs, Blue Eggs, And Greens along with a hearty, easy going flock.

Dark Brahma- My Brahmas have had great longevity, good dispositions and have been great free rangers
Blue/Black/Spash Cochin -I love my Cochins they are not the most prolific layers but they have wonderful personality and get along well in a mixed flock. With the DBs or the Cochin if you have a lot of mud their feathered feet can be messy.
Black Copper Marans- I adore my BCM and the eggs are just beautiful
Cream Legbar- One of my favorite breeds, beautiful, free range well, healthy and good layers of pretty eggs
Buff Orpington - Good layers, easy going, but I haven't had great luck with longevity or free ranging they seem to be the first to get picked off
Easter Egger- I love their looks, personality, lots of fun colored eggs, and easy to get along with.
Thanks so much!!

Have you considered phoenixes? They're a great bird for free ranging and brooding and so far none if mine have been even a little aggressive. Also come in colors and lots if different shades

here is the list of breeds I am thinking of ordering. At the moment I am planning on ordering one of each. My coop and run will be large enough to fit 16, but I will be starting with 8 chickens because... chicken math.

Sounds like a generally good idea. But you might lose some chickens--one dies in the mail, one gets squished by a careless child, a dog gets one... So just be aware of that possibility. Personally, I'd probably get 12-15 at first (partly because of hatchery minimum orders).

If you're open to the possibility of eating them later,you can eat the least-favorite few each year, and get a few new ones.

Breed choices: I have a personal bias against feathered feet (Brahmas, Cochins, Faverolles.) But I do know that many other people love those breeds. In general, I think that's a good list.

Other kinds I would consider: sexlinks (black and red/gold) and a White Leghorn. They tend to lay really well, and are all fairly nice birds. Yes, the sexlink have a reputation for being short-lived, but they reliably lay well in their first year, and some do continue to live and lay for quite a while. Yes, Leghorns tend to be more flighty than the breeds you listed, but some people really like them. A few white eggs look nice in the mix, and a single white chicken looks really pretty in a flock of colored birds.

Sounds like a generally good idea. But you might lose some chickens--one dies in the mail, one gets squished by a careless child, a dog gets one... So just be aware of that possibility. Personally, I'd probably get 12-15 at first (partly because of hatchery minimum orders).

If you're open to the possibility of eating them later,you can eat the least-favorite few each year, and get a few new ones.

Breed choices: I have a personal bias against feathered feet (Brahmas, Cochins, Faverolles.) But I do know that many other people love those breeds. In general, I think that's a good list.

Other kinds I would consider: sexlinks (black and red/gold) and a White Leghorn. They tend to lay really well, and are all fairly nice birds. Yes, the sexlink have a reputation for being short-lived, but they reliably lay well in their first year, and some do continue to live and lay for quite a while. Yes, Leghorns tend to be more flighty than the breeds you listed, but some people really like them. A few white eggs look nice in the mix, and a single white chicken looks really pretty in a flock of colored birds.
Thank you! Great suggestions!

I would build your own coop.
It’s not worth it to buy a shed or a pre made coop.
It’s a lot easier than some think and if you need help or advice you can always send me a message.
Making your own will cost time and some money, but buying one will cost time and a lot more money.
Imagine you have 1000$ to spend on a coop. Buying one you can get one big enough for maybe 10-15 birds.
Build your own though, and you could afford a coop to fit 50 birds and an enclosed run (minus cost of fencing)

Sounds interesting!

Here's some from my flock. I haven't raised a single one and my flock has grown from 4 to almost a dozen plus ones I don't keep

Attachments

• 20200911_195711.jpg
    20200911_195711.jpg
    348.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 20200911_193409.jpg
    20200911_193409.jpg
    302.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 20200911_193101.jpg
    20200911_193101.jpg
    217.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 20200909_195428.jpg
    20200909_195428.jpg
    349.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 20200825_073140.jpg
    20200825_073140.jpg
    375.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 20200708_100438.jpg
    20200708_100438.jpg
    467.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 20200629_131549.jpg
    20200629_131549.jpg
    746.3 KB · Views: 7
I have just 3 buff orpingtons. They have been great! Super friendly with kids/families, easy to “train” and started laying at only 4.5 months old! I live in the Midwest and have cold winters and HOT summers. The hens have done great this summer. I obviously make sure there’s plenty of water. We’ll see how the winter goes, but from my research, they are fairly cold hardy.

Attachments

• F9CDFD40-9536-4287-B8A8-14091CE67048.jpeg
    F9CDFD40-9536-4287-B8A8-14091CE67048.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 8
I would personally suggest a Columbian Wyandotte and a white leghorn. Personally for me, they have always been very friendly chickens and are good layers. Maybe also get a rooster if where you live permits it. Have fun raising chickens!

Back
Top Bottom