The chicken nurd

Songster
Apr 4, 2021
Hey everyone

So ignoring the fact that I’m not getting chicks for a couple of months or until spring (I’m the person who likes to spend months planning on what to get and I’m feeling a little chick crazy sense my pullets started laying)

I need breed suggestions
My only requirements are doesn’t mind confinement sense my birds are only free range half the time
Does well in any climate
No health issues
And not to aggressive

I’m hoping to keep my flock very divers sense my birds are pets

Currently I have 11 hens
Easter egger
Buff Orpington
Black star
Silver laced Wyandotte
Red star
Partridge welsummer
Black jersey giant
Columbian Wyandotte
Cuckoo marans
Blue laced red Wyandotte
Olive egger

Also planning on adding 4 standard chicks
And possibly a couple of bantam cause I want to use are extra coop for a bantam flock

Now the other thing is that I’m also planning on adding 2 ducks
I currently have 1 Rouen and 2 Muscovy
My requirements for the ducks are the same as the chickens although quieter breeds are better

Last thing is that I was considering adding quail they would be for pets and eggs
any suggestion on getting started with that I currently have to extra coops so I was hoping to use one of those
it’s also only legal to have coturnix here but I know there’s different types so any suggestions

Now just thought of one last question
I’ve been debating about ordering online or buying from are local grange I’ve never ordered online before but I want a bigger breed selection any suggestions if I do order online what hatchery, when to order etc

Thanks everyone for reading my long post and for the replies

- the chicken nurd

Last edited:
Rule out Buckeyes. I adore mine, but their gamecock heritage is easy to see in their feistiness. Rarely a day goes by that I don’t see face offs within the flock or have to thump somebody for pecking me.

Before adding more birds to your existing flock it is important to know the space would have avaliable
Over crowding has rewined many a back yard flock expierence.
I see one of your requirements is "no health issues". Well that's a tough one. Almost every flock of every breed can and will encounter a problem once in a while. I will say production breeds are short lived because they are bread to produce an unnatural amount of eggs within there first 3 years, and because of this usually die of a reproductive cause early in life. I see you already have a couple of those on your list
Another requirement of yours is " does well in confinement".
Well how close confinement are we talking here? 5 white Longhorns can live in a 3×2 egg producing farm pen with clipped beaks and nothing but processed food. Not what I'm sure we are talking about here but give us the dimensions of your coop and run and many here will come up with a reasonable number for you.
"Does well in any climate" well let's talk about your specific climate so we can pick out some appropriate breeds for you. Breeds that do well in Hawaii may not do so well in Alaska.
And finally let's address what you want this chickens for? Pets, eggs, meat?....

Before adding more birds to your existing flock it is important to know the space would have avaliable
Over crowding has rewined many a back yard flock expierence.
I see one of your requirements is "no health issues". Well that's a tough one. Almost every flock of every breed can and will encounter a problem once in a while. I will say production breeds are short lived because they are bread to produce an unnatural amount of eggs within there first 3 years, and because of this usually die of a reproductive cause early in life. I see you already have a couple of those on your list
Another requirement of yours is " does well in confinement".
Well how close confinement are we talking here? 5 white Longhorns can live in a 3×2 egg producing farm pen with clipped beaks and nothing but processed food. Not what I'm sure we are talking about here but give us the dimensions of your coop and run and many here will come up with a reasonable number for you.
"Does well in any climate" well let's talk about your specific climate so we can pick out some appropriate breeds for you. Breeds that do well in Hawaii may not do so well in Alaska.
And finally let's address what you want this chickens for? Pets, eggs, meat?....
I get the health issues thing and I got both my sexlinks before I did research my only thing is I don’t want to deal with birds that always have something going wrong regularly health issues are fine

Space: My run is 12 x 14 my coop I don’t remember exact dimensions but it’s big enough for about 15 - 20 birds and they free range halftime

climate: I said any climate because it can very here I live in Washington in Monroe Area so while it’s usually cold and rainy it can snow during the winter and we had a massive heat wave this summer where we almost passed the 110 mark

Also there going to be raised for pets and eggs

The minimum rule of thumb is about 2 to 3 square feet per chicken inside the chicken coop, and 8 to 10 square feet per chicken in an outside run. More square footage is better. Skimping on space requirements for a flock of chickens can cause stress, cannibalism, pecking, and sometimes even death:

Do the math above before adding more birds. Also think about winter or inclimate days your flock may spend inside all day. Is your coop comfortable for all these birds?
Also think about integrating which can be a difficult and lengthy process.
I would recommend some Longhorns if you must add 4 birds. It will add some white eggs to your egg basket. They are hearty birds and come in colors other than white. Also are nonbroody.
i would stay away from top hatters, silkies and feather footed breeds.

Back
Top Bottom