What bug/chrysalis is this?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by PamtheSurvivor, Mar 28, 2017.

1. PamtheSurvivor

PamtheSurvivor New Egg

Mar 28, 2017
    [​IMG]

Hi all, I've been reading threads on this forum for years, love all the info. We tilled up a new garden spot this year and I have been finding a TON of these little bugs. My favorite hen follows along beside me clucking and grabs them up before any of the other girls even know what's going on. I just want to make sure they're ok in large quantities and also slightly curious as to what they are bc if they're beneficial bugs I'd like to keep some of them away from greedy chickens! Thanks

It is soft, also. Squishy like a caterpillar

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
  2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    No idea what they are, but guessing they are not beneficial. Free protein. Let her eat them, and perhaps buy her her own shovel. She knows a good thing when she finds it.

3. ChirpnBern

ChirpnBern Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2013
    They remind me of something I found years ago. I kept it in a cup with a lid on it until it morphed/came out. It was some kind of moth. Tried to look it up and the closest thing I could find was something called a ground moth.

Following this thread. . .

4. PamtheSurvivor

PamtheSurvivor New Egg

Mar 28, 2017
    Ok thanks guys for the answers! I can't think of a caterpillar that is beneficial to plants so..... I bet they are not also. Yes, she needs her own shovel!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by