What can baby chicks eat?

koko

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 10, 2012
new york, newyork.
Hello!!! I want to know what I can give my five chickens to eat other than their chick starter feed?They are all three days old. Thank you!
D.gif

I think you should wait a couple of weeks before feeding your chicks food other than starter feed because it might be hard for them to digest and they are already getting what they need from the starter feed.
smile.png

You can start giving them scrambled egg as early as you want...it is a really good booster for them. I usually use only the yolk for the first week. Once they are about a week old, you can start offering other treats. Watermelon is a good snack especially if it is extra warm where you live. If you want to offer any other fruits or veggies or bugs, you will need to offer them chick grit or start putting chuncks of grass/dirt in the brooder. But most chicks won't be interested in grass until they are over 2 weeks old.

For my first chicks, I waited until they were a week old, but with my other ones I gave mine some mealworms (alive) that I cut in small pieces the first day they arrived because they seemed lethargic. They loved it! Just don't forget to offer them some chick grit as well.

Thank you Panth, but is it possible for me to make them grit. In other words can I take some rocks crush them up really good and give it to them?
thumbsup.gif

Not sure where you live, but it is easier if you could just dig up a bit of your yard with some dirt on it and let them pic through it unless you don't have very sandy soil in your area.

My new chick, a black Frizzle Cochin bantam hen is 15 days old and she is on chick starter and a little bit of chick scratch and grit. She has also eaten egg, lettuce, zuchinni, grass, small worms, cooked rice, and bread. She's growing and doing great, so a bit of human food is good, but most of their diet when they are young should be the chick starter.
smile.png

I have a baby duck.He's 2 days old and already eats grass and worms. Is this okay? He eaten a lot of both and really enjoys it.
idunno.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom