what can do this???

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by thesteven, Jun 23, 2011.

1. thesteven

thesteven Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2009
    so my baby keats and ameracanas, 6 i total were all ate last night. this the weird part, surrounding the whole bottom of the cage, was the big flat rocks, weighing about 30 lbs a piece. you know the big round smooth rock people use for landscaping. the for the wind i had some tarps around it. well somthing moved the rocks ripped the tarps and tore through the chicken wire, what can do that. I mean pulling the rocks out could be done by a animal who had some time. never seen a animal rip a tarp, but then breaking through the wire baffles me, isn't the reason we ue wire is to keep the predators out.. now we have seen everything on our prperty except a wolf, that includes a black bear. so what on earth could have ate my babies

thank you

2. Stingrayg4

Stingrayg4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Oklahoma
    A raccoon is capable of doing all the things you describe. Chicken wire is for keeping chickens in, it won't keep a raccoon out. I'm pretty sure raccoons just use the chicken wire to floss their teeth after they eat.

-S

3. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    Quote:X2 just let a coon get bigger then 25 pounds or so and you can't believe the damage they can do natives called them " little bear" for good reason when you put up hardware clothe it is a good idea to cover it with a 1 X 4 at the end of the cloth so they cannot get their claws behind the wire

4. jbowyer01

jbowyer01 Just Me!

Aug 29, 2008
    Hogansville, Georgia
    Two raccoons worked together to lift my brothers garage door to get to a bowl of dog food so they could easily have lifted the rocks. Chicken wire is easy to rip a part and a tarp too.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  5. Jerseycoop

Jerseycoop Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    New Jersey
    So sorry for your loss [​IMG]

6. thesteven

thesteven Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2009
    did not know coons could do that, jeez, well traps will be set tonight, i have 2 dead babies they killed but did not eat.. could i use them as baid or do they like live. the worst part is that we have tried so &#$% hard to get baby keets, Monday we we were gonna move them over to the big cage with the adults.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by