What can I attach to fence so the flocks can't see each other?

Trish1974

Araucana enthusiast
5 Years
Mar 16, 2016
North Central IN
My Coop
My Coop
I purchased 6 rumpless araucana chicks a little over a week ago, two for sure are cockerels. I would like to keep these two to test breed with (both are gorgeous but have different desirable traits). I plan to section off the very back part of the run for them (10'x 30') and rotate breeding. The total fence height is 6 feet, but I would like to block off the bottom 4 feet so 1.) They can't see the hens of the other two flocks because that will cause them to fight, right? and 2.) So my current cockbird in one of the runs can't see them and vice versa. Does anyone do this and what do you use to block sight? I get extreme cold and moderate snow in my area. I was thinking cheap tarps, but can't find any under 6' in width.

I purchased 6 rumpless araucana chicks a little over a week ago, two for sure are cockerels. I would like to keep these two to test breed with (both are gorgeous but have different desirable traits). I plan to section off the very back part of the run for them (10'x 30') and rotate breeding. The total fence height is 6 feet, but I would like to block off the bottom 4 feet so 1.) They can't see the hens of the other two flocks because that will cause them to fight, right? and 2.) So my current cockbird in one of the runs can't see them and vice versa. Does anyone do this and what do you use to block sight? I get extreme cold and moderate snow in my area. I was thinking cheap tarps, but can't find any under 6' in width.
When I needed to block viewing for my turkey toms, the cheapest viable option I found was to use a silt fence designed for construction work. It is 3' tall (4' would have been better for turkeys) and in my opinion relatively inexpensive. Link is for example only.

Silt fence

If you don't want to spend a lot of money, go to garage sales, etc. and buy small blankets that are cheap, they are washable and removeable and you can fasten to fence with clothes pins exactly where you want them. I like this because depending on what I need I have the versatility to change it around, and I love being able to wash it out in a tub, with scrub board ( yeah just like the old days) and hang on the clothes line.

How much feed do you go through? I have Shetland ponies, rabbits, ducks, dogs, cats and a lot of birds. We have LOTS of 50# bags and most are now made from some type of woven plastic.

Many different ways to string them up, will block wind, snow & ice like a tarp. These were just "hung" by opening up the bags and stringing the string thru the edge (hanging the bags on them) and then a 2nd string was run to hold the bottom in place too. I did this on the outside of this run since already had the chicks in it and I didn't want to be kneeling inside. Maybe "hick, country boy look", but it does work and you are re-using a resource you already have.

There are other ways you can attach them, too. This was the fastest for me at the time - I was leaving the next day for OOS family funeral and the chicks were getting out. Two hurricanes and LOTS of rain/wind & 6months later - only 1 bag (was at the bottom of a pile - so probably already 2-3 yrs old and weathered) has disintegrated. The rest holding well and chicks can't get thru the 2x4 wire anymore.

180918_142117.jpg 180918_142133.jpg

Many places (Dollar General, Family Dollar etc) also have cardboard boxes available. If you look a the 2nd pic, you will see cardboard blocking the open area so the chooks can't get out up high. Again, it's just strung on haystring - since we have a lot of that and it allows us to use it again before it gets hauled to the dump after it wears out...

Inexpensive, re-use options that are pretty easy and fast to put up in many different ways and configurations.

When I've had time, I've also opened up the bags and used the hay string with a rug needle and stitched bags end to end for length & edge to edge for height. It is totally possible to make a complete wall this way that is every bit as good as the current, lightweight tarps out there. Just takes a little time to do.

Back
Top Bottom