What can I do to revitalize this rooster?

Peppercorngal

Crowing
6 Years
Feb 5, 2018
Feather Falls, CA
A friend asked me to "watch" her chickens for a few weeks while she relocates. The last time I had seen them they were all beautiful, including this rooster. I have them in a separate coop and run so they are not comingling with my flock just so you know that. Rooster has few feathers, his feet are infected and his comb is turning black. He acts normal. He eats, poops, drinks all fine. He even walks ok! He crows all the time too. He is good to his girls from what I have seen as well. He's not aggressive to me and I go in with him twice daily. What can I feed him to get his feathers back? Feather fixer? I am going to get that, but anything else that will help? Today will be a yogurt treat day for all the chickens, does that help? I give them yogurt about once every 3 months as a treat and they love it. What do y'all think?
rooster danielle.jpg

Rooster of Danielle.jpg

A friend asked me to "watch" her chickens for a few weeks while she relocates. The last time I had seen them they were all beautiful, including this rooster. I have them in a separate coop and run so they are not comingling with my flock just so you know that. Rooster has few feathers, his feet are infected and his comb is turning black. He acts normal. He eats, poops, drinks all fine. He even walks ok! He crows all the time too. He is good to his girls from what I have seen as well. He's not aggressive to me and I go in with him twice daily. What can I feed him to get his feathers back? Feather fixer? I am going to get that, but anything else that will help? Today will be a yogurt treat day for all the chickens, does that help? I give them yogurt about once every 3 months as a treat and they love it. What do y'all think?
View attachment 2770940

View attachment 2770941
By the way, I was told that where he previously stayed they they put a bunch of young roosters with him. I was told that "he is people aggressive now because of that". Maybe these young roosters plucked him? I haven't see any aggression from him so far.

Do you have a dog crate you could separate him. Leave crate in pencwith rest of his flock-but still separated.
Or a chicken wire pen separating him from hens. Nothing fancy-just functional temp fix.
I don't have a dog crate or any wire anymore. We went through the North complex fire and lost most everything. Even the chicken storage shed burned up! Along with our big barn, expensive equipment etc. He's not important enough for me to go to expense of fencing and dog crates, I'm sorry to say. If his owner doesn't care I don't know. . . . . I will feed him well or treat for mites.

Back
Top Bottom