What can I expect if I cull our only rooster?

Agathe

Songster
Jun 1, 2021
I have a rooster that I'm considering to cull. He's got 8 hens whom he is very caring towards. He is a good rooster, but in certain situations he will attack me, no one else, just me. This happens when they free range and the hens come running towards me when they see me. I think he sees me as competition. I can go into the coop or run just fine, it is only when they free range. They don't normally free range but I want to give them that option in winter just cause they get bored when there's snow on the ground and nothing to do. Normally I've been able to keep his behaviour in check by making myself scary and he's chickened out immediately. Today was different, he attacked me multiple times and didn't seem to find me very intimidating. So I'm just wondering what I can expect from the hens if they lose him, if their behavior or dynamics will change. They are two sets of hatches and get along fine although there can be some bickering when they ones lowest on the pecking order are too eager to get to the food. We have no predators around so he is not needed for protection unless for some reason a dog or something gets into the garden, but we have none nearby. I don't want to spend winter looking over my shoulder every time I leave the house and I don't want them to spend months bored in the coop. Ideally I want to keep him though but also worry he might attack other people eventually.

What will happen:
  • You can’t get fertilised eggs to hatch anymore.
  • You won’t get attacked anymore
  • The group dynamics will change but thats not something to worry about at all
  • Some of the hens that are laying will come to you and squat. They like it when you pet them on the back for a short while.
I’m no expert, but I have a flock without a rooster. Had a cockerel a couple of times and I recognise your problem. I just can’t have them because of nearby neighbours that started to complain in spring because of the early crows.

I know that there are possibilities to change the roosters behaviour.
One thing to do is offer the food to the rooster first. He is the master to give the food to his ladies.

@Shadrach wrote a wonderful article about roosters behaviour and flock dynamics.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/understanding-your-rooster.75056/

Last edited:
What will happen:
  • You can’t get fertilised eggs to hatch anymore.
  • You won’t get attacked anymore
  • The group dynamics will change but thats not something to worry about at all
  • Some of the hens that are laying will come to you and squat. They like it when you pet them on the back for a short while.
I’m no expert, but I have a flock without a rooster. Had a cockerel a couple of times and I recognise your problem. I just can’t have them because of nearby neighbours that started to complain in spring because of the early crows.

I know that there are possibilities to change the roosters behaviour.
One thing to do is offer the food to the rooster first. He is the master to give the food to his ladies.

@Shadrach wrote a wonderful article about roosters behaviour and flock dynamics.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/understanding-your-rooster.75056/
Thank you! That is reassuring. I do try to offer him food first so he can give it to his hens and not see me as a threat, but we have very tame chickens and they'll come running to greet me even when I have no treats and it's hard to avoid. He won't father any more chicks due to inbreeding so I'll need to get eggs from elsewhere anyway, and then I'll have the chance of a new and friendlier rooster. He is massive too! The biggest one of all we've had. No wonder he ended up top dog.

He is massive too! The biggest one of all we've had. No wonder he ended up top dog.
Being the top dog is what all roosters want. Getting harmed by a massive rooster is not what I would like for my hens.

Maybe its a good idea to buy hatching eggs of a breed that is a bit smaller. And a breed that is friendly too of course. If you wait till spring, when you have a broody, you have time to do some research.

I had three cockerels. The bantam RIR I had was far out the nicest guy. The owner of this breed told me in advance I could expect this. Researching and asking in advance might help. But keep in mind there is always individual and not predictable behaviour to account for.

What breed(s) do you have?

Being the top dog is what all roosters want. Getting harmed by a massive rooster is not what I would like for my hens.

Maybe its a good idea to buy hatching eggs of a breed that is a bit smaller. And a breed that is friendly too of course. If you wait till spring, when you have a broody, you have time to do some research.

I had three cockerels. The bantam RIR I had was far out the nicest guy. The owner of this breed told me in advance I could expect this. Researching and asking in advance might help. But keep in mind there is always individual and not predictable behaviour to account for.

What breed(s) do you have?
He and some of the hens are a mix of australops and lohman, then we have one orpington and the orpington and the rooster have produced some new mix breeds. I'll definetly look into different breeds and was planning on getting a new breed eventually anyway. Mine are good egg layers (apart from the pure orpington), but almost too good. I'd like some that don't lay every single day but maybe live longer.

I have a rooster that I'm considering to cull. He's got 8 hens whom he is very caring towards. He is a good rooster, but in certain situations he will attack me, no one else, just me. This happens when they free range and the hens come running towards me when they see me. I think he sees me as competition. I can go into the coop or run just fine, it is only when they free range. They don't normally free range but I want to give them that option in winter just cause they get bored when there's snow on the ground and nothing to do. Normally I've been able to keep his behaviour in check by making myself scary and he's chickened out immediately. Today was different, he attacked me multiple times and didn't seem to find me very intimidating. So I'm just wondering what I can expect from the hens if they lose him, if their behavior or dynamics will change. They are two sets of hatches and get along fine although there can be some bickering when they ones lowest on the pecking order are too eager to get to the food. We have no predators around so he is not needed for protection unless for some reason a dog or something gets into the garden, but we have none nearby. I don't want to spend winter looking over my shoulder every time I leave the house and I don't want them to spend months bored in the coop. Ideally I want to keep him though but also worry he might attack other people eventually.
How old is your Roo?
Did you hatch him or bring him in? (how long ago?)
I have 2 separate flocks (2 Roosters) I free range at different times and when I need to herd a group in, I grab a thin 2' long switch to extend my reach...it keeps them moving in the direction I want them to go.
You could try something like that to carry as a 'just in case' sort of cane. This gives you a longer pointer finger with a stern "No !", when he switches into wanting to attack mode.
If he's still young you can work with him, he might just need a tuning up to realize your the boss.
Disclaimer...I'm not saying go out and beat your birds by any means. But an attitude adjuster, that gives you more space between him and you. Keep treating him like their his girls as always.
I talk to my boys a lot and even give them treats on occasion when they come into the barn solo.
Hope some of this helps you out if you decide to keep him but I understand that right now his aggression might escalate and you don't know if he can be trusted around others.

As far as other breeds that don't lay as much?
The Black Copper Marans hold their paint in to get them lovely dark chocolate eggs so their a 3-4 egg/per week layer is my suggestion there but I could be a little bias towards them. I have 9 girls and 2 boys 😉

Good luck with whatever you decide.

How old is your Roo?
Did you hatch him or bring him in? (how long ago?)
I have 2 separate flocks (2 Roosters) I free range at different times and when I need to herd a group in, I grab a thin 2' long switch to extend my reach...it keeps them moving in the direction I want them to go.
You could try something like that to carry as a 'just in case' sort of cane. This gives you a longer pointer finger with a stern "No !", when he switches into wanting to attack mode.
If he's still young you can work with him, he might just need a tuning up to realize your the boss.
Disclaimer...I'm not saying go out and beat your birds by any means. But an attitude adjuster, that gives you more space between him and you. Keep treating him like their his girls as always.
I talk to my boys a lot and even give them treats on occasion when they come into the barn solo.
Hope some of this helps you out if you decide to keep him but I understand that right now his aggression might escalate and you don't know if he can be trusted around others.

As far as other breeds that don't lay as much?
The Black Copper Marans hold their paint in to get them lovely dark chocolate eggs so their a 3-4 egg/per week layer is my suggestion there but I could be a little bias towards them. I have 9 girls and 2 boys 😉

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Thanks, I'll definetely going to try that before making any decisions! He's around 2,5, so a grown bird. I raised him myself and he's otherwise very friendly and even lets kids to carry him around. It is only when his hens give me too much attention that he gets aggressive which isn't a problem most of the year when they are kept in their own enclosure to keep them from eating my vegetables! :)

Sounds to me like something is triggering him. Need to find out what that is.
I'm gonna throw out a warning.. heed it if you want. Stop letting your kids carry him around. He's not a lap chicken. If your doing the same with 'His' hens there's your trigger. My boys tolerate me picking up the hens but that came with time and respect. If the hens show any distress or language me as a human can't decipher their Roo is right there. A rooster really changes a flocks dynamics from hands on cuddle bugs to "hands off the petting, I've got a job to do and I take it seriously"

Not knowing you or your flock I'm only guessing and suggesting. But alot of attacks happen because "my Rooster was once so sweet and cuddly"

Sounds to me like something is triggering him. Need to find out what that is.
I'm gonna throw out a warning.. heed it if you want. Stop letting your kids carry him around. He's not a lap chicken. If your doing the same with 'His' hens there's your trigger. My boys tolerate me picking up the hens but that came with time and respect. If the hens show any distress or language me as a human can't decipher their Roo is right there. A rooster really changes a flocks dynamics from hands on cuddle bugs to "hands off the petting, I've got a job to do and I take it seriously"

Not knowing you or your flock I'm only guessing and suggesting. But alot of attacks happen because "my Rooster was once so sweet and cuddly"
Oh no, we don't tend to carry any of them around, but all of them will jump into our laps given the chance. We definitely don't keep them as pets or treat them as such, but having raised them from they were chicks the hens do seem to see us as part of their flock. And I'm guessing that is precisely what's triggering him, but there's little to do with it aside from keeping them fenced in. If we get broody hens next year I'm guessing any future birds will be less tame and seek less contact with us.

Back
Top Bottom