What can I feed day old chicks?

Dec 14, 2019
My momma turkey snuck some chicken eggs and hatched them. Two so far, but the others are less developed and won’t hatch yet. They’re Copper Maran X Amerucauna chicks so they’re extra fluffy, fluffy cheeks and feathered feet. 🥰😍
My question is what can I feed them? I don’t have any way to get chick feed or have any on hand. I gave them some scrambled eggs and a tiny bit of scratch so far. I only have scratch and lay pellets. Suggestions?

2E11029C-1CC5-44B4-8923-FA77236A7403.jpeg 1B803437-1394-4E7F-8DC9-823F0EAF93A0.jpeg 49AA83A5-EBC5-4B0C-A160-682E82B385CB.jpeg

I'd stick with eggs (hard boiled or lightly scrambled, and chopped up finely) especially while they're little and add crushed or wetted layer as needed (whatever is easier to make it chick sized). Actually what is the "mama" turkey eating? If she's raising the chicks she might override your plans. :D

Optimally I'd aim to get either some sort of all flock or chick starter or grower next time there's a supply run scheduled, or if you have a neighbor going, etc.

The mama turkey isn’t raising them much to her dismay. She lives out in the goat pen and they’d get trampled. So the scrambled eggs are fine then? Can I also give them some scratch? They already had a little bit before the eggs because I didn’t have time when they just hatched.

So the scrambled eggs are fine then? Can I also give them some scratch? They already had a little bit before the eggs because I didn’t have time when they just hatched.

Yes on the eggs though hard boiled would be a little better to avoid the oil/butter.

I'd only be hesitant on scratch because it tends to be pretty chunky. If you can use a blender or even a hammer to crush it down a bit, I don't see why they can't have a bit of it too. Same with mealworms since you mentioned it earlier, crush it down so they're not trying to choke down big pieces.

I'm going to guess you don't have chick grit either but if you have small pieces of adult grit, or naturally sandy/rocky soil, those are fine as substitutes.

Don't give them the laying pellets.
If you can get bugs, & dehydrate them, it'll be perfect. They can have greens too.

Eggs right now are the best option. Are you going to be able to get chick feed for them in a couple of days?

Layer feed really isn't optimal due to calcium but if there's no other option, crushed layer would still be better than feeding them random junk.

Back
Top Bottom