What can i feed my baby chicks?

Demidog

Chirping
5 Years
May 16, 2014
Macedonia
Can they get fruit / veg etc right from when they hatch? Or only chick feed? What do they like, what is best for them? How about grass or weeds from the garden? Is there anything poisonous that they shouldn't get? How should i give it to them - chopped up or whole? etc etc..... This is my first ever chickens so i have no clue!

The best thing for them is chick starter since it is formulated with all the vitamins, minerals and amino acids chickens are known to need in the right percentages. There's been 100 years of research into poultry nutrition.
That's all I feed them until they start venturing outside and forage.
Almost any fruit, vegetable, meat, fish scrap will be accepted.
They don't have hands and teeth so most things need to be chopped finely enough to fit in the esophagus.
If feeding anything other than starter feed, they'll need grit. Chick grit is about the size of sand. Actually grit is a good idea even if they only get feed.

Mine are about 4 days old now. I've been offering them some yogurt sprinkled with chick starter and grit but they just aren't interested. I guess I'll try again in a few more days.

I'm going to give them chick feed as well, i just wanted to know what else they can get and when to start giving it to them. I will have a look through the learning center as well.

Is grit just regular grit from the ground? I'v got sand in my garden, would that do? Or do i need to buy grit especially for chicks/chickens?

And why do you give yogurt? I would have thought chickens don't eat dairy products.

What about antibiotics? Someone mentioned that to me.

And wormers? Tick/flea treatment? Do they need that, and when?

I'm going to give them chick feed as well, i just wanted to know what else they can get and when to start giving it to them. I will have a look through the learning center as well.

Is grit just regular grit from the ground? I'v got sand in my garden, would that do? Or do i need to buy grit especially for chicks/chickens? 

And why do you give yogurt? I would have thought chickens don't eat dairy products. 

What about antibiotics? Someone mentioned that to me. 

And wormers?  Tick/flea treatment? Do they need that, and when? 

I don't add grit when they are only eating chick crumble and by the time they are off the crumble they are in the garden getting their own.
Yoghurt is a good source of probiotics after illness but anything high in calcium isn't good for chickens on a regular basis.
Antibiotics are only considered when there is illness
And yes your birds should be wormed on a regular basis.
Chickens can and do get lice and mites , but there is no point worrying about that till it happens.
My advice is , if it s not broken don't fix it. Take it one day at a time.
This article is very informative

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/03/baby-chick-basics-what-you-need-to-know.html

Hello , give baby chicks chick starter which you can find in a pet store and then when they're two week old you can give them bread crumbs and then when they are 3 weak old start giving them bread by scraping it to make it small and also I give my chicks hot boiled rice which they eat as well

Back
Top Bottom