What can I use besides a chicken saddle?

liebe

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 26, 2011
Hello, New to this forum, but not new to chickens.

I have just aquired a trio of Lavender Orpingtons, already a year old, and the hens are a little too bare backed. Normally I always keep a large number of hens per roo, and use saddles when needed. That being said, other than my layers, my other hens that are with roos are much smaller than orpingtons, and it will take me a few days to find time to make saddles for these big girls.

Is there a cream or salve that anyone uses on their girls as well as, or instead of a saddle? All help is appreciated. And I am unwilling to seperate the roo, as they are very bonded and just moved to a new area and nervouse.

Last edited:
This is just an idea... I wonder if using the sleeve of an old tee shirt or a really stretchy stocking could provide some protection. You can cut out wholes for the legs and wings and stret.ch it over the back. I actually used something like this to cover a dressed wound on an orp hen once and it stayed in place pretty well.

Oh and welcome to the BYC FORUM!
D.gif

Last edited:
I'm a bit hesitant to use duct tape on their backs, one of the girls has just skin showing. My 6 year old reminded me not to put the birds in the sun, so they don't get a sun burn.
I guess if no one knows of a cream I'm going to have to hurry with those saddles. Time to get the sewing machine out.
Thanks

I think what you do with the duct tape is put the sticky sides together with just a little sticky on the ends that attaches to the underside of the feather. It stays on for a while. protecting the back but not sticking to the skin. I am buying duck tape today for a couple of my girls.

Quote:
Oh, k, now that would make more sence. I've never used duct tape on a chicken before. I know that the doctor recomended it to a family memeber to cure warts, but that was directly sticky side applied to skin.
But now the sewing machine is out, and I am looking through fabric. I have some toddler tees I think will do in a pinch before I get out to measure and sew.
Thanks for the duct tape advice.

Back
Top Bottom