What can I use to cover my roof?

hayley3

Crowing
15 Years
Aug 16, 2007
Louisville, Kentucky
I made a small, covered area for my chickens to hang out in (although I wish I had made it bigger). I used treated 1x6's for the roof but I want to cover the roof to make sure no rain gets through. My prefab coop has a large square piece of shingle but I don't know where I'd get something like that?
Any ideas?
Also I need to waterproof some of the wood because I ran out of treated lumber..any suggestions for that?

Thanks in advance!

How big is it?
Dims and pics, please?
It's 48x36
and sloped to allow the rain to run off but I didn't want the rain running in between the boards and may not, not sure. My first roof :lau

Attachments

• Roof for chickens.JPG
    Roof for chickens.JPG
    832.9 KB · Views: 5
That's a loaded question. I was basically just looking for a once piece coverup...something easy...although I did find a video for a doghouse with shingles.
Go to Lowe's and see what kind of discount materials you can find. I once bought a pack of discounted shingles for around $15 and they would more than cover that roof. A single sheet of metal would cover it as well, but you'd have to cut it. A single sheet is relatively inexpensive.

I made a small, covered area for my chickens to hang out in (although I wish I had made it bigger). I used treated 1x6's for the roof but I want to cover the roof to make sure no rain gets through. My prefab coop has a large square piece of shingle but I don't know where I'd get something like that?
Any ideas?
Also I need to waterproof some of the wood because I ran out of treated lumber..any suggestions for that?

Thanks in advance!
Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!
Hello Hayley,
Last year I purchase a large run on deep discount from Tractor Supply. It is about 8'x15' and has a door that I can walk into and stand up. I connected it my coop. Half the roof of the run was covered in heavy corrugated plastic roofing. I decided to extend the roof covering and went to Lowes and found more corrugated roofing material. It comes in 8' sheets. It's made of an asphalt type material that I was able to cut to size w/my Skin-Saw. Made sure to get gable capping material and special rubber gasket sealed roofing screws as well. For you situation, I'd use tar paper stapled down then get a cheap bundle of partially broken shingles at a discount. Make sure you know what your square footage is so as to buy enough shingles. If you don't know how to shingle a small roof (it's easy) check on Youtube for video instructions). You'll also need what's called a drip edge which is a formed aluminum strip that is placed under the shingles to support them when you overlap the bottom edge. Attach this with galvanized roofing nails. As for waterproofing, I'd use Thompson's Water Seal. I did this with my entire base that I made for the run to rest on. Good luck!

Go to Lowe's and see what kind of discount materials you can find. I once bought a pack of discounted shingles for around $15 and they would more than cover that roof. A single sheet of metal would cover it as well, but you'd have to cut it. A single sheet is relatively inexpensive.
I can't cut metal, which would be the simplest.
I found some shingles the previous owner left behind, but on my pre-fab coop there is one big piece of shingle material...I wish I knew where they got that.

Back
Top Bottom