What can you do with cabbage?

Cabbage & Dill

Blanch cabbage and place into a large glass jar with garlic cloves and dill to taste.

Cover with brine: heat together
1/2 gallon water
2 tsp sugar
2 Tablespoons white vinegar
4 Tablespoons canning salt

Let set for a couple of days and then enjoy

Ham, cabbage & potatoes.
Cook your ham in lots of broth and then boil the cabbage and potatoes in the broth. Salt and pepper to taste and add a little onion if you like. I can eat BOWLS of this stuff!

Not sure how you feel about slaw.

Curried Slaw

1 head cabage, core removed, thinly shredded
1 sweet onion, sliced thinly
1 tart apple, thinly sliced and tossed with lemon juice
1/4 cup raisons
1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
1 Tablepsoon Honey
1/2 cup yogurt
1 teaspoon curry powder
2 Tablespoons white vinegar
salt and pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients and let marinate in the frige for 30 minutes to an hour. It's great over grilled fishpork, or chicken. Enjoy

We LOVE cabbage!
wee.gif

A quick, easy, and not so healthy one is fried cabbage...you can use cut up bacon or (my favorite) hog jowls sliced up and fried, then put the cabbage in with it, season to taste and put the lid on and it steams it a little bit. You can also add onions and potatoes to it. DH couldn't believe the kids loved it!

I always add cabbage to stir fry, soups and anything like that!

It is good fried up with sliced polish sausage, onions and potatoes.

If you do like a lo mein with whatever kind of meat you like (or shrimp) cut into bite sized pieces, some veggies either from a bag of mix or sliced onions, bell peppers, garlic, etc, and lots of garlic. I will also use tofu cut into cubes, rather than meat, sometimes. If you have access to sesame oil, add that to your cooking oil, and it will give it an amazing flavor! I use my regular cooking oil, add about a tablespoon of sesame oil, and about 2 tablespoons soy sauce to cook with. For the noodles, you can either use cooked spaghetti noodles and toss them in right before serving with a little more sesame oil and soy tossed in, OR...throw in some cooked rice and make fried rice. If you do the fried rice, pour in the raw, semi-scrambled egg and cook it before you put the rice in.

DELICIOUS!

The crumbled sausage, onions and cabbage are wonderful!

For a side dish, I cook cabbage with bacon and a touch of brown sugar for a very light glaze. The kids eat it up!

An easy Southern slaw recipe is to shred the cabbage with a cheese grater, toss in mayo or Miracle Whip to taste (I don't use a lot, I don't care for the creamy slaw) about a handful of sugar (if you are using a med-lg size head) and about 1/2 to 3/4 cup white vinegar. Toss well and chill. Add cracked pepper to taste.

There are so many things to do with cabbage! LOL! The brats are always good, too!

Shelly

Dice an onion, then peel a couple or maybe three apples, depending upon the size of the apples. Dice the apples. Then saute the onions and apples until the onion clarifies.

I prefer to use bacon grease, but my wife insists upon olive oil.

Slice the cabbage thin and add it to the pan; let it simmer just a while. Then add three table spoons sugar and three table spoons white vinegar. Then add about six whole cloves, or ground cloves. Sometimes I throw in some raisins also.

Turn it off and cover the pan. You just want to wilt the cabbage, not cook it to death.

Taste great with pork roast.

PS Use a stainless steel pot; it will take the seasoning off of cast iron.

Rufus

Cabbage soup. We will use the outer layers to make cabbage rolls and chop up the inner smaller layers. cook and drain ground beef, add diced onion, tomatoes, kidney beans, garlic, cabbage and anything else that sounds good! We usually can it and save for cold winter days. DH and my dad love to take jars of homemade soup to work for lunch!

Michelle

DMK Ranch

Back
Top Bottom