What can you do with cabbage?

MsMcChick

Songster
12 Years
Oct 3, 2007
Mid-Michigan
I had a friend give me 2 heads of cabbage, one to put in for the chickens, the other???????? not a clue. I know you can make saurkrout, but what else? I've heard of using them to wrap something up like an eggroll, but what? Help! ~Tracy

My Mom used to make this, now I do and my family loves it. Slice your cabbage thin. Fry burger and onions. Add cabbage to the pan with a little water. Let this cook until your cabbage is soft but not mushy. Season with salt and pepper. Roll out small sections of bread dough. Spoon filling on top and fold to make a pocket. Brush with egg. Bake until bread appears done. It sounds bland but the flavor will suprise you! I use boughten (frozen) bread dough if I am in a hurry.

One of my favorite meals growing up was stuffed cabbage. But as I had a large family and it was too time consuming...I do it all in the skillet and it is soooo delicious. Ground your gr. beef with onions in the skillet, then add the entire head of cabbage sliced thin, Season and cook it on slow to med. heat until the cabbage and onions carmelize, then I add whatever my mood wants...a can of diced tomatoes or tomato sauce, etc. Just enough to moisten and give it some added flavor. I also add red pepper flakes...to taste since it is only my dh and myself. We can't get enough of it and my dh does not like cooked cabbage
wink.png
Takes about 30 min.

Ohhhh, stuffed cabbage is awesome! Cabbage leaf rolls slow cooked in good tomato sauce is mouth watering. Coleslaw. Steamed cabbage. Cabbage and onions stir fried in olive oil. American style egg rolls.

So many things to do with cabbage!

Eggrolls are easy & tasty. Shred cabbage and saute with chopped cooked chicken (or chopped raw shrimp), white pepper and soy sauce. Allow it to cool. Place 2-3 Tbs. of this mixture in an eggroll wrapper & seal it up with beaten egg. Deepfry. Yum!
OR
You can make MooShu pork with shredded cabbage, shredded pork, mushrooms & green onions. Stirfry with soy sauce, white pepper, hoisin sauce (just a couple spoons full), ketchup (twice as much as the amount of hoisin). Serve it with white rice. You can use tortillas for MooShu wraps. Place the stirfry and rice in a warmed tortilla. I like to smear a little extra hoisin on the tortilla.
Wow! I am hungry now!

A friend of mine gave me this recipe. It is easy and really good, looks bland but taste makes up for it.

Slice cabbage and an onion (can use 2 if wanted)
Layer in crock pot
add salt and pepper to taste
A little water (1/4 cup) cook till tender add swiss cheese all over top and melt

This stuff is awesome.

I have added pork chops on the bottom too, just browned and put everything else on top.

You can also do the pork chops, add onions and cabbage and cream of mushroom soup in Crock Pot, cook til done.

Quote:
I forgot to add the instant rice. You can skip the rice if you want but it makes it taste just like stuffed cabbage rolls. sometimes I have to add a bit of liquid broth/stock ..just enough to let the rice cook for five min. Rice is added last with the liquids. Green peppers can be added or whatever you want.

here's you one from the south...haha

Sausage and Cabbage

Take breakfast sausage, crumble it in an iron skillet and fry it up. drain most of the grease and then add sliced cabbage and a little water. Cook (covered) and stir a few times till the cabbage is tender. Serve with cornbread.

Back
Top Bottom