What causes color changes in comp and wattles?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by m_shuman, Aug 26, 2011.

1. m_shuman

m_shuman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    Springfield, GA
    I have a 20 week old Delaware and she has a huge red comb and wattles. She is already laying eggs. I notice that the color changes throughout the day? For example I was just out there and it was pale pink almost flesh colored and sometimes it is brighter red than my roos? She just laid an egg. Does this have anything to do with it?

2. Andora

Andora Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Mine change color when they are very hot, dehydrated, or sick. I have one old hen who gets swollen on hot days (like she needs dialysis or something!) and when her angles are swollen then her comb gets really pale.

3. Hinotori

Hinotori Silver Feathers Premium Member

Apr 27, 2011
    Graham, WA
    My cuddly lead hen gets super pale when she's snuggling and I'm petting her. After she jumps down they will return to the bright red. Since noticing this on her, I've noticed they all get pale when they are relaxing.

4. Kaeta44

Kaeta44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Combs cool the chicken down by the blood circulating between comb and the wattles. So changes in temperature will lead to either more or less blood in the combs and therefore the colour will change.

http://muckycluckers.blogspot.com/

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by