what causes pale yolks?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by red reaper, Sep 5, 2008.

1. red reaper

red reaper Out Of The Brooder

Aug 30, 2008
    North Central Missouri
    I tend to think my brown egg layers have pale yolks,almost looks like a store bought egg. Is this an indication of something? I also think the whites might be wattery. When you crack them and drop it into the skillet, you get the yolk,then typical thickness white,and then what looks like a thinner type white around the egg. It fry's up ok,but makes me wonder if something is going on.

2. chickflick

chickflick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 10, 2007
    Dimondale
    I let my hens free range, so they're getting the greens and bugs they need to make the orange yolk. Even in winter, I'll give them green beans and protein.

3. warren

warren Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2007
    UK
    I have 2 Goldline hens. One produces yolks of a deep orange colour, but the other's yolks are pale lemon yellow. They both have access to the same food, and free range around the garden, so I don't think it is due to diet in her case. I am puzzled by it too. One is about 6 months old and the other 7 months.
    The only difference is that the one which lays pale eggs loves eating slugs.

4. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    If you let them have plenty of access to grass, and/or you provide them with plenty of greenies (dark green leafy stuff like kale, Romaine lettuce, green or red leaf lettuce, spinach, etc.) their yolks will darken into a lovely deep orange.

For us, this also means our egg dishes are fluorescent yellow, though! Creme brulee, scrambled eggs, pancakes, you name it - they're all bright yellow and super-rich tasting! Yum!

I noticed that some of my hens do like their greens better than others, and this is reflected in their yolk colors. I know who's been eating their spinach!

5. sunbury chick

sunbury chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    Sunbury,Ohio
    I don't know if this has anything to do with my hens having very golden yolks,but,they've been eating marigolds.They are in a fenced area now(no flowers to eat)so I'll see if the yolks are still dark yellow.They just have grass and feed,fruit scraps and left overs .[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by