What chicken breed(s) is/are YOUR favorite? Why?

Which breed is your favorite? Why (tell us below!)? Choose 4 or less

• Silkie

• Barred Rock

• Rhode Island Red/New Hampshire

• Orpington

• Sex Link

• Polish

• Cochin

• Ameraucana/Easter Egger/Araucana

• Isa Brown

• Lakenvelder

• Wyandotte

• Jersey Giant

• Leghorn

• Old English Game (bantam/standard)

• D'uccle

• Brahma

• Maran

• Welsummer

• Naked Neck

• Other (Specify in comments)

Results are only viewable after voting.
My Favorite chickens are the ones in my back yard. I know, I know.. But, I'm not too breed specific.. Started with 6 chickens (was supposed to have at least BR pullets, nope 3 males) ended up keeping a BSL pullet and a Cockoo Marans cockerel (they were bestest of buds) and they gave me beautiful offspring (4).. Then I picked up a BCM pullet, and she's with my mixed cockerel, and they have made more beautiful offspring. They look just like a BCM, but will be larger in size, and more 'full bodied'. Then of course I love my EEs because.. I do, and one is brooding a batch of eggs.. (Just love her to pieces), and can't leave out my Bielefelder hen.. She lays the biggest danged eggs out of all of them. But, I'm working on projects.. best laying hens get to stay with my best roos to make great offspring that will have body size and be great layers. Purebreds, from what I have seen have been inbred to the point of lower quality, unless you want to pay an arm and a leg for them.

Ameraucanas only lay blue eggs and only come in a few colors. Easter eggers are the ones that have diversity in feather and egg color.
I reread what I wrote and yes, you are right for sure. I think I may have fumbled with my wording, though, in that I meant diversity as a replacement for uniqueness. Everyone has brown eggs, but do y'all have BLUE?!
But I also love EE just about as much, to the dismay for the APA, so dang it, I'll take it :lau :love🥰

This was difficult to narrow down. I decided on Dutch Bantams because they're the friendliest and most affectionate. My girls love to be handled and their blue earlobes look like they're wearing earrings. Their blue legs are gorgeous too.
I also chose Old English Game Bantams. These are really friendly but they can also be independent. There's a whole lot of personality in such a tiny bird. The boys have the most adorable crows, and I actually enjoy that they crow ALL. DAY. LONG.
Another favorite is my Svart Hona (Swedish Black Hens). I have a pair of these and they're so different from all of my other birds. They seem to have a desire to please. My cockerel (almost 9 months) is always helpful anytime my jerk roosters come around. He keeps them away from me. He's extremely curious but incredibly gentle. My pullet is also incredibly sweet and a fantastic layer. Plus, they're absolutely beautiful!
My fourth favorite is a tie between Easter Eggers and Seramas. I can't decide between them.
Tomorrow, I'll regret not including one breed, but I love them all!

My favorites:
Silkie
Brahma
Welsummer
And Sapphire Gem!
(And speckled Sussex, if I can have 5 of my favorites.)
I have a ton of other favorites, (basically all the chicken breeds I own (13) but when it comes down to favs...

I love silkies because of their sweet personalities and quirky looks. (Seriously though, my phone categorizes them with my dog)
They’re just so, floofy!
A few picture of my current (I have a mixed flock, 1 of each.) her name is Mochi.
F9CE65AD-480D-4396-86AC-C1EC136F701C.jpeg
46A5AC63-A123-4A7D-AF75-4EEF217ED852.jpeg

Luna, the Welsummer, is sweet as can be. Welsummers also lay beautiful brown eggs. Luna is the cuddliest of the 8 week old chicks currently. She’s so so sweet. She just lets you scoop her right up. (I just hope this doesn’t lead to her being comfortable around predators!)
E801F10A-3396-4AA6-A81E-BC0B233A9510.jpeg

CA519668-8D29-41B8-AFE6-1BFDCAECC8F8.jpeg

Cupcake is the current Brahma. She is a buff Brahma, and also very sweet. (She’s also in my profile picture) I love Cupcake, and her feathered feet are adorable! Even though Brahmas are late to mature, I really hope she is a girl! She’s 8 weeks old currently.
B41CF83A-1CCC-4E25-83A3-D57201DD4CEA.jpeg
D36A891F-CA7E-4BEE-B098-473491F52431.jpeg
FDCCE0E4-5B14-4B67-91CC-8657C1FE67AD.jpeg

Sapphire gems weren’t listed, but I had to add my little Safaia. She’s so sweet, and beautiful too! I love the bluish feathers!
also, I’ve heard that Sapphire Gems are bred to lay a lot of eggs. (I don’t actually care about that too much,) but do you think she could develop reproductive issues? (Just had a RIR die from cancer, Rest In Peace Ponyo.)
2F26A27E-0613-4396-934D-7B8D2D51C801.jpeg

And then I just love the speckled Sussex, Vanelope. She’s a little bit on the shy side, but has a cool personality. I also love the partnering on her feathers! (She was very small as a chick though (photo compared to sapphire gem)
259FD158-3061-4690-9C6D-EA4DD8CF34C7.jpeg
85A9F00B-2253-4B1B-B7E2-18B1391B6F6E.jpeg

I selected RIR as my favourites are commercial hybrids which over here are usually some sort of RIR cross. We've had various hens but the ex-battery hens are always the nicest personalities, most interesting and friendly. I think it's partly due to breeding (as I think they are bred for docility to lessen damage to each other in caged environment) but perhaps some of it stems from their upbringing too somehow, I'm not sure.

They are not very hardy though! If looking at the practical side of things then I have to say that our homebreds (we don't usually breed but hen escaped and laid in the hedge) are basically bullet-proof. They are a Cuckoo Marans roo x a Cream Legbar hybrid hen... they're very aloof but a few years old now and I have never seen one even look sick, but I guess it's partly because they were raised here and have good immunity.

What’s not to love about big, fluffy birds? I love my blue Cochin, Blue. She comes and sits on my lap, she hangs out with me when I’m scooping poop, she’s very gentle... And my light Brahma, David “Hop-along” Cassidy, who was actually a hen, was so sweet and loving!

I love all my girls, but these two? Maybe just a little more...

A41CEBE4-A5A4-4F5F-95D6-E953904996E2.jpeg

E3FC59AD-663D-49A1-8951-0ECD1A3EB146.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom