What chicken breed(s) is/are YOUR favorite? Why?

Which breed is your favorite? Why (tell us below!)? Choose 4 or less

• Silkie

• Barred Rock

• Rhode Island Red/New Hampshire

• Orpington

• Sex Link

• Polish

• Cochin

• Ameraucana/Easter Egger/Araucana

• Isa Brown

• Lakenvelder

• Wyandotte

• Jersey Giant

• Leghorn

• Old English Game (bantam/standard)

• D'uccle

• Brahma

• Maran

• Welsummer

• Naked Neck

• Other (Specify in comments)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Pics
Can I just say that I had to chuckle at the "choose four or less" in a poll asking for a top favorite? 😂 You know you can't make us choose!
I chose the breeds who's eggs I like to see in my basket. You have to have a mixture of deep browns, blues, greens, cremes, and etc. I feel like a little kid every time I pick eggs, and can organize their beautiful contrasting colors for my 'consumers'.
My top favorite is Ameraucana, because of the chipmunk cheeks, and the fact that I find them fairly hardy for where I live, while also being "exciting" with their diversity, especially in the egg department.
Orpingtons have a special place in my heart, however. My first two hens were Golden Laced. I love them dearly, though they are old now. Not one man nor rooster would dare mistreat Ladybird and Henrietta. Not on my watch.
I recently hatched eggs and did some horse-trading with a neighbor to get some fancy breeds in my flock. Houdans being one of them. And I have to say- I'm almost equally as excited for my new lavender orpington to mature. They remind me of the old cartoons, when the hen would pull up their blouse and run, with their undergarments poofed out 😂 like in the old disney robin hood cartoon. Please someone get that reference 😂

Okay I'm rambling now, haha.
In conclusion: the fluffy ones with the feathers

Can I just say that I had to chuckle at the "choose four or less" in a poll asking for a top favorite? 😂 You know you can't make us choose!
I chose the breeds who's eggs I like to see in my basket. You have to have a mixture of deep browns, blues, greens, cremes, and etc. I feel like a little kid every time I pick eggs, and can organize their beautiful contrasting colors for my 'consumers'.
My top favorite is Ameraucana, because of the chipmunk cheeks, and the fact that I find them fairly hardy for where I live, while also being "exciting" with their diversity, especially in the egg department.
Ameraucanas only lay blue eggs and only come in a few colors. Easter eggers are the ones that have diversity in feather and egg color.

My favorites:
Silkie
Brahma
Welsummer
And Sapphire Gem!
(And speckled Sussex, if I can have 5 of my favorites.)
I have a ton of other favorites, (basically all the chicken breeds I own (13) but when it comes down to favs...

I love silkies because of their sweet personalities and quirky looks. (Seriously though, my phone categorizes them with my dog)
They’re just so, floofy!
A few picture of my current (I have a mixed flock, 1 of each.) her name is Mochi.
F9CE65AD-480D-4396-86AC-C1EC136F701C.jpeg
46A5AC63-A123-4A7D-AF75-4EEF217ED852.jpeg

Luna, the Welsummer, is sweet as can be. Welsummers also lay beautiful brown eggs. Luna is the cuddliest of the 8 week old chicks currently. She’s so so sweet. She just lets you scoop her right up. (I just hope this doesn’t lead to her being comfortable around predators!)
E801F10A-3396-4AA6-A81E-BC0B233A9510.jpeg

CA519668-8D29-41B8-AFE6-1BFDCAECC8F8.jpeg

Cupcake is the current Brahma. She is a buff Brahma, and also very sweet. (She’s also in my profile picture) I love Cupcake, and her feathered feet are adorable! Even though Brahmas are late to mature, I really hope she is a girl! She’s 8 weeks old currently.
B41CF83A-1CCC-4E25-83A3-D57201DD4CEA.jpeg
D36A891F-CA7E-4BEE-B098-473491F52431.jpeg
FDCCE0E4-5B14-4B67-91CC-8657C1FE67AD.jpeg

Sapphire gems weren’t listed, but I had to add my little Safaia. She’s so sweet, and beautiful too! I love the bluish feathers!
also, I’ve heard that Sapphire Gems are bred to lay a lot of eggs. (I don’t actually care about that too much,) but do you think she could develop reproductive issues? (Just had a RIR die from cancer, Rest In Peace Ponyo.)
2F26A27E-0613-4396-934D-7B8D2D51C801.jpeg

And then I just love the speckled Sussex, Vanelope. She’s a little bit on the shy side, but has a cool personality. I also love the partnering on her feathers! (She was very small as a chick though (photo compared to sapphire gem)
259FD158-3061-4690-9C6D-EA4DD8CF34C7.jpeg
85A9F00B-2253-4B1B-B7E2-18B1391B6F6E.jpeg

Bantam cochin, ameracaunas (ees and ameracauna crosses too), barred rock and silkie. I absolutely love my bantam cochins and silkies, they have the best personalities and make great mother's. My BR hens have so much personality and are first to run up to you and talk. My ameracaunas are my favorite for the blue eggs, and crosses for different colors feathering wise as well as egg color

I know I’m in a bit of a minority but I just LOVE my Rhode Island Reds! They have the most adorable waddling run and are the first to notice when I come outside and dash over to me looking for treats. They are some of the “bravest” of my flock and get very close almost preferring to eat treats from my hands but they also don’t peck me to get my attention like my EEs do. Their red feathers I find stunning and there is even a faint pattern to them if you take the time to look close enough. I was quite sad that I was unable to find any local chicks this spring as my current girls are reaching the end of their laying and will need to be replaced pretty soon😢

Back
Top Bottom