What's your favorite/friendliest breed

Pics

XAshleyX

Songster
Jul 6, 2022
Connecticut
People keep chickens for a variety of reasons, which impacts their favorites based on their preferences. I'd like to know your favorite and friendliest breed. I know a big part is just their overall individual personality. I've read about the buff Orpington war lol and I love mine and even though she's super sweet, she isn't necessarily the friendliest. I have 3 black Australorps, 1 olive egger, 1 buff Orpington. Two of my black australorps are lap chickens.
I recently added 2 polish, 1 sapphire olive egger, and 1 Easter egger. They're about 5 weeks old.
My Easter egger is SO friendly!! She jumps up on my arm almost on command and loooovvvveees to be held. There doesn't seem to be much information on sapphire olive eggers?
Anyways. If I were to get more chickens........ which I'm trying so hard not to but I just love how sweet this Easter egger is, what would be your suggestion for friendly birds!
I don't care about their laying quantity because I don't eat eggs, they're strictly pets :) thanks!!

Attachments

• IMG_3593.jpeg
    IMG_3593.jpeg
    642.4 KB · Views: 1,675
I have several varieties of Orpington (not just buff) and they are all my favorites! Though their friendliness does seem to vary depending on the line and where they come from. I got a batch of Lavenders last year from a local breeder, and they were incredibly skittish and antisocial. I have hatchery BOs and breeder English Orps (from a different breeder) that are all super friendly. My Barnevelders are also very friendly and my most reliable lap chickens, though they don't like to be touched. I can't pet them, but they will come into my lap on their own and hang out with me. One is my designated mama and she always brings her chicks into my lap, too. I had to socialize them to get here though - their breeder is very impressed and surprised, and says hers keep their distance. Whichever new breeds you get, do spend a lot of time socializing them, for best results (for pet chickens).

Here's my lap mama DSL Barnevelder with her Buff Orpington babies:
343421506_3342035786107248_370651788941850887_n.jpg

One of my super friendly English Orpingtons:
1683565763920.png

I have several varieties of Orpington (not just buff) and they are all my favorites! Though their friendliness does seem to vary depending on the line and where they come from. I got a batch of Lavenders last year from a local breeder, and they were incredibly skittish and antisocial. I have hatchery BOs and breeder English Orps (from a different breeder) that are all super friendly. My Barnevelders are also very friendly and my most reliable lap chickens, though they don't like to be touched. I can't pet them, but they will come into my lap on their own and hang out with me. One is my designated mama and she always brings her chicks into my lap, too. I had to socialize them to get here though - their breeder is very impressed and surprised, and says hers keep their distance. Whichever new breeds you get, do spend a lot of time socializing them, for best results (for pet chickens).

Here's my lap mama DSL Barnevelder with her Buff Orpington babies:
343421506_3342035786107248_370651788941850887_n.jpg

One of my super friendly English Orpingtons:
View attachment 3497607
Omg!!!!! I love the pictures! Love that you're being introduced to the babies! Thank you for sharing!

Attachments

• IMG_4600.jpeg
    IMG_4600.jpeg
    888.2 KB · Views: 64
My overall concern with chickens isn’t friendliness, however I don’t enjoy the extreme flightiness of the production strain white Leghorns for example.
The friendliest hen I’ve had was a Buff Orpington. Currently have two Orpingtons a buff and a lavender and neither one is remotely tame. My current tamest is an Amber Star and next would be a couple New Hampshire hens.

Back
Top Bottom