What chicken breed(s) is/are YOUR favorite? Why?

Which breed is your favorite? Why (tell us below!)? Choose 4 or less

• Silkie

• Barred Rock

• Rhode Island Red/New Hampshire

• Orpington

• Sex Link

• Polish

• Cochin

• Ameraucana/Easter Egger/Araucana

• Isa Brown

• Lakenvelder

• Wyandotte

• Jersey Giant

• Leghorn

• Old English Game (bantam/standard)

• D'uccle

• Brahma

• Maran

• Welsummer

• Naked Neck

• Other (Specify in comments)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Can I just say that I had to chuckle at the "choose four or less" in a poll asking for a top favorite? šŸ˜‚ You know you can't make us choose!
I chose the breeds who's eggs I like to see in my basket. You have to have a mixture of deep browns, blues, greens, cremes, and etc. I feel like a little kid every time I pick eggs, and can organize their beautiful contrasting colors for my 'consumers'.
My top favorite is Ameraucana, because of the chipmunk cheeks, and the fact that I find them fairly hardy for where I live, while also being "exciting" with their diversity, especially in the egg department.
Orpingtons have a special place in my heart, however. My first two hens were Golden Laced. I love them dearly, though they are old now. Not one man nor rooster would dare mistreat Ladybird and Henrietta. Not on my watch.
I recently hatched eggs and did some horse-trading with a neighbor to get some fancy breeds in my flock. Houdans being one of them. And I have to say- I'm almost equally as excited for my new lavender orpington to mature. They remind me of the old cartoons, when the hen would pull up their blouse and run, with their undergarments poofed out šŸ˜‚ like in the old disney robin hood cartoon. Please someone get that reference šŸ˜‚

Okay I'm rambling now, haha.
In conclusion: the fluffy ones with the feathers

I know Iā€™m in a bit of a minority but I just LOVE my Rhode Island Reds! They have the most adorable waddling run and are the first to notice when I come outside and dash over to me looking for treats. They are some of the ā€œbravestā€ of my flock and get very close almost preferring to eat treats from my hands but they also donā€™t peck me to get my attention like my EEs do. Their red feathers I find stunning and there is even a faint pattern to them if you take the time to look close enough. I was quite sad that I was unable to find any local chicks this spring as my current girls are reaching the end of their laying and will need to be replaced pretty soonšŸ˜¢

Can I just say that I had to chuckle at the "choose four or less" in a poll asking for a top favorite? šŸ˜‚ You know you can't make us choose!
I chose the breeds who's eggs I like to see in my basket. You have to have a mixture of deep browns, blues, greens, cremes, and etc. I feel like a little kid every time I pick eggs, and can organize their beautiful contrasting colors for my 'consumers'.
My top favorite is Ameraucana, because of the chipmunk cheeks, and the fact that I find them fairly hardy for where I live, while also being "exciting" with their diversity, especially in the egg department.
Ameraucanas only lay blue eggs and only come in a few colors. Easter eggers are the ones that have diversity in feather and egg color.

Which breed is your favorite? Why (tell us below!)?
Choose 4 or less
Orpington- they come in so many beautiful colors but buff is my favorite. Mine is very sweet and is one of my friendlier chickens.
Polish- they are the cutest when they are chicks. They also have a great temperament!
ISA Brown- my two are the best egg layers I have in my flock. They need to know what Iā€™m doing every time Iā€™m in the coop or the run. Very curious!
My all time favorite is the Black Australorp. Great egg layers and are extremely friendly. Mine sits on my lap and will take a nap whenever I sit in the run with them:)

Naked Necks: braver birds, a little more people friendly and decent layers. I have a flock of 4 (1 male, 3 females) and a CP female to add size and I get between 2 and 3 eggs most days, with the rest of the days being 4 eggs.

Pheonix: Beautiful, hardy birds. A bit tiny as chicks, as tiny as bantams actually, but mine free range 24/7/365 and once they get their feathers in, I've only lost 2 to predators, including one to a dog. They're constantly broody so if you don't eat eggs like I don't, they're a nice break and who doesn't like suddenly finding a missing hen with a dozen babies?

Cornish bantams: The real life Hei-Hei. They're not the brightest, but the males might be the friendliest. I had a male that would stand there and let me give belly rubs to. Decent layers, I have 4 hens and get 2 or 3 eggs a day. Still waiting for them to go broody though :/

These are all ones I have currently too. I have a whole list of favorites I don't have and may never have, but these three you can get from almost any hatchery

Orpington- they come in so many beautiful colors but buff is my favorite. Mine is very sweet and is one of my friendlier chickens.
Polish- they are the cutest when they are chicks. They also have a great temperament!
ISA Brown- my two are the best egg layers I have in my flock. They need to know what Iā€™m doing every time Iā€™m in the coop or the run. Very curious!
My all time favorite is the Black Australorp. Great egg layers and are extremely friendly. Mine sits on my lap and will take a nap whenever I sit in the run with them:)
I was so excited to get my BA, I had heard so many wonderful things about them. I'm disappointed, mine is a grump.

I have six different breeds. My Sapphire Gem, BR, Amberlink, and BCM are all very sweet and friendly. My two EEs are a bit shy but still very sweet. It's taken longer to earn their trust.

Back
Top Bottom