What chicken breed(s) is/are YOUR favorite? Why?

Which breed is your favorite? Why (tell us below!)? Choose 4 or less

• Silkie

• Barred Rock

• Rhode Island Red/New Hampshire

• Orpington

• Sex Link

• Polish

• Cochin

• Ameraucana/Easter Egger/Araucana

• Isa Brown

• Lakenvelder

• Wyandotte

• Jersey Giant

• Leghorn

• Old English Game (bantam/standard)

• D'uccle

• Brahma

• Maran

• Welsummer

• Naked Neck

• Other (Specify in comments)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Delawares are my favorite in my flock. Very friendly and curious, mine all enjoy being petted and fed by hand.
Welsummers are my second favorite, good attitude, get along with everyone. Very pretty speckled eggs too. A little more shy then my delawares.

I have experience with RIR, BO and ISA Browns. I am a big fan of the hybrid sex link chickens. Excellent egg production and good temperament. Lower feed consumption and no roosters! That’s what my wife says, No Roosters. That and I am a vegetarian so what am I going to do with roosters?

I also like that hybrid chickens require that breeders maintain the desirable genetic characteristics of at least two heritage birds to produce a bird with hybrid vigor.

I am aware that hybrids have a shorter lifespan and may experience health issues in old age. The advantages are still overwhelming.
My daughter has cream leg bars and they are pretty interesting birds with the sex link trait but I am just not prepared to keep heritage birds.

So far Orpingtons have been our favorite. We also have a little bantam that my kids love but I can’t figure out what she is. I don’t love our sex links- but our Orpingtons haven’t been the most consistent layers and I want lots of eggs, so I’ve got two of them- seeing as they have been our best layers- we get a lot of double yolks from them too

So far Orpingtons have been our favorite. We also have a little bantam that my kids love but I can’t figure out what she is. I don’t love our sex links- but our Orpingtons haven’t been the most consistent layers and I want lots of eggs, so I’ve got two of them- seeing as they have been our best layers- we get a lot of double yolks from them too
could you insert a pic of your unknown-breed bantam? we might be able to help..

could you insert a pic of your unknown-breed bantam? we might be able to help..

Easter Eggers and Black Australorps (not on list, please add). I like the Aussies because they look like big crows on steroids and I have not seen any hawks since we got them. They do tend to show up lame a lot, though. Love my EEs. Sturdy, hardy, hard-working, efficient birds. Reasonable amount of good-sized eggs, good producers. Calm, sensible birds. Good personalities. I just like them. Good camo, I don't lose them to predators like white birds I've had.

RIR mainly because people tell me they tend to be mean yet I've never had an issue. ISA browns because as far as I understand they are a sub of RIRs. Still rather have a whole flock of RIRs. Im stuck with the chooks I have now because my mom panicked during the whole beer bug crap and showed up at the farm with birds. My granny had birds when I was a kid so I didn't care. Now we have them again I will phase them out for my preferred breed but so far I have no complaints with the ISA browns. The girls are doing their job of giving eggs right now, once that slacks down they are supper. When my RIRs I replace them with quit laying they have the same fate. The chooks on this farm are the same as the cattle and hogs, livestock. I only raise meat cows and well pigs are bacon. At least the chooks serve 2 purposes while they are alive. Since I just bought my uncles 2 commercial incubators broody hens have no reason this year.

Back
Top Bottom