What chicken breeds are best for holding/tame?

My lap chicken preference is Barred Plymouth Rock hens. Mine don't need to be bribed, to jump up on my lap. Very sweet hens.
2rocksincoop.JPG

I like barred rocks also! I think they are a cool breed! Can you get adult chickens to do that and stay calm when held? How do you hold a chicken to make it feel secure? I'm new to chickens.
Never lose eye contact, hold gently not firmly. Alloy it to be their decision to be held, then reward them with a treat. You will get the idea!:hugs

No one has said it so I will.

Chickens are prey animals.
Being restrained is frightening for them.

They are not puppies or kitties. It is rare to find one that WANTS to be picked up or petted.

I appreciate them just wanting to forage NEAR me while I work in the yard.
I haven't had chickens long and only have two. But I totally disagree. I usually dont hold mine as much as I will put them on my legs and I will part them. They are not restrained and they stay there on their own. They also will jump on my lap themselves. I dont think that equals them not liking being petted or picked up, I dont need to chase them to get them. If it's a chicken that has had no loving contact then yes they most likely are afraid.

I am pretty sure my friend has a black orpington. It has feathers on the legs and is very tame,doesn't really mind being picked up. I will make a new post once I get pictures to verify. Thank you all for the help!
:welcome :frow There are breeds that seem more friendly than others but if you have a lot of interaction you can form a special bond with a bird. My Gladys was a Rhode Island Red. She was a love. Unfortunately one day she was taken by a fox. I cried and cried. I hatched her out and she was 3 years old when the fox got her. If she wanted to be held she would jump into our laps. I still miss her. I never had another bird like her. Here she jumped into hubby's lap. I suspect the feather leg, if it's a good size chicken, could be a Brahma. Good luck and have fun...
IMG_20180623_171515.jpg

Back
Top Bottom