What chicken breeds are most likely to go broody?

Pics
I've had random birds be broody like a crazy ameracauna named Sparkles that stays broody most of the summer every year. This year I had a welsummer go broody and she never has before. My black australorps have in the past but none this year. Maybe because they're getting older. And for example my barred rocks have never gone broody. It's weird. The photo attached is Sparkles head sticking out from under the welsummer broody. They both wanted the same box to be broody in and Sparkles refused to get up. So the Welsummer sat on top of her! Most of the time they've been broody they've at least shared a box.

Attachments

• MVIMG_20190729_184941.jpg
    MVIMG_20190729_184941.jpg
    486.8 KB · Views: 83
I've had random birds be broody like a crazy ameracauna named Sparkles that stays broody most of the summer every year. This year I had a welsummer go broody and she never has before. My black australorps have in the past but none this year. Maybe because they're getting older. And for example my barred rocks have never gone broody. It's weird. The photo attached is Sparkles head sticking out from under the welsummer broody. They both wanted the same box to be broody in and Sparkles refused to get up. So the Welsummer sat on top of her! Most of the time they've been broody they've at least shared a box.
Thank you

Okay
Hens that were raised by broody hens are most likfree to sit, regardless of the breed.
View attachment 1879330
thanks, I was going to buy the hens from a lady who has a large flock of about 130 backyard chickens. Call her crazy but she is totally against using incubators, all her chickens are hatched and raised by broody
hens but she never sells to anyone any of her breeders and sells their offsprings. So if I buy from her I might actually get some that might go broody. She currently is selling 5 to six months old birds. I think I'm going to get one from her

I've never had any, but I frequently read on this site about Buff Orpington going broody.
Hopefully you can get them where you are.
I've only had Golden Comets and Barred Rocks.
The Comets, I had 5, 2 left at 40 months old have never been broody.
The Barred Rocks turned 1 year old yesterday. I have 6 and none have been broody.
I don't have any Cockerels/Roosters. Don't know if that makes a difference.
Personally I seek out non-broody types. 20190702_193801_resized.jpg . GC

Last edited:
Game chickens go broody. No maybes. Strong paternal traits beget strong maternal traits. All wild survival instinct is intact. They set on eggs and hatch them, and then raise and protect the chicks. I have hatched out many leghorns under game hens, yet to have one go broody. Totally hereditary, no amount of raising them under a broody hen will put back instincts that have been bred out.

Back
Top Bottom