What Chicken Breeds do you Dislike & Why?

Polish for the same reason... The poof is just too big. I think I'd like a Spitz though... I'm not a fan of Silkies. Up here in Ct where we get cold wet winters, I'd have to go to greater lengths to keep them warm... And I've seen too many vids on Youtube where they're treated like designer pets. Idk... they just turn me off. Unless I was gonna get them for eating.

I actually really like Cornish cross. They have a really sweet attitude.

I have never had them but I've heard people testify that if you don't slaughter them at 20 weeks or so, they begin to deteriorate and look terrible.
I'm sure that's fine for those who just want to kill them all after 5 months but I prefer dual purpose, large breed birds that mature slowly and live long healthy lives.

Silkies and Cochins and anything feather-legged.
Don't get me wrong they are gorgeous and have excellent personalities.
But those breeds are also very high maintenance. So as much as I love to see them at shows, they are not for me.
And Silkies lack some intelligence, which makes me not like the breed, but I still love the Silkies I own as much as my other chickens. Maybe for the same reason?

Also don't like any designer crosses or fads Deathlayers, Silkies, Ayam Cemani... I could go on and on. Now that I think about it though I respect the breeds it's just the people who worship them who bother me.
"English" Orpingtons irk me.

Last edited:
Polish for the same reason... The poof is just too big. I think I'd like a Spitz though... I'm not a fan of Silkies. Up here in Ct where we get cold wet winters, I'd have to go to greater lengths to keep them warm... And I've seen too many vids on Youtube where they're treated like designer pets. Idk... they just turn me off. Unless I was gonna get them for eating.
Surprisingly, my Silkies were not as bothered by cold weather as I thought... and quite meaty for a small bird as well.
Mhh... "Dislike" is too strong a word.

There are chicken breeds I wouldn't have because they don't suit my lifestyle or interests, but I wouldn't say I dislike them per se. I'd enjoy seeing or visiting them, as someone else's chickens.

It's a bit like minimalist rooms; I'm happy to be in one for a meal or a couple of nights sleep, but not to live in.
I have to agree. I actually haven't met I breed I don't like. It's just a matter of wanting to live with the chicken within 1000 feet of my house being totally dependent upon me.

Last edited:
Hmmm. Good question, great thread! So far the only birds we've gotten on purpose have been BOs, EEs and BLs. Their first year, all the BOs went broody shortly after starting to lay. That was disappointing, but they are calm birds. I will not get Leghorns again, these birds are high-strung lunatics and have been since hatch. I may want to try Welsummers but I'm not hearing great things about them from you guys, so I may just stick with my tried-n-true EEs, which I love!

Back
Top Bottom