What Chicken Breeds do you Dislike & Why?

I can't stand Barred Rocks. I've never had one that didn't eat eggs.
One of my rocks is an egg pecker, almost every other day I collect at least one egg with a peck hole in it. I have glass eggs or golf balls in all nesting boxes but nothing seems to deter the heifer. Other than that we love our rocks as they were our first.

Hmmm. Good question, great thread! So far the only birds we've gotten on purpose have been BOs, EEs and BLs. Their first year, all the BOs went broody shortly after starting to lay. That was disappointing, but they are calm birds. I will not get Leghorns again, these birds are high-strung lunatics and have been since hatch. I may want to try Welsummers but I'm not hearing great things about them from you guys, so I may just stick with my tried-n-true EEs, which I love!
Welsummers are a fantastically normal chicken. They aren't overly friendly or deliberately flighty and are consistent layers of gorgeous eggs.

I won't say I dislike a breed...I will say there are several breeds that don't for my flock.
I have had bad experiences with EE, Wyandotte, BR, Silkies, BSL and partridge rock.

I do like my cochins, brahmas, Australorp and orpingtons. :D

Corrected BEL SHOULD have read BSL.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom