What Chicken Breeds do you Dislike & Why?

Pics
Fayoumis are OK, but I wouldn't intentionally order them. I got some in a rare breed pullet special, which overall was a great special. I loved the golden penciled Hamburgs and the Lakenfelder (I prefer that spelling because I am German/PA Dutch) that came in that special. And I agree with Buttonquailgirl, I'm not crazy about commercial hybrids either. Neither the egg layers nor the broilers. And for the same reason, namely that they are so intensely bred for production that they aren't sustainable and "self-destruct". Although there are exceptions: one of the best broody hens I ever had was a black star. I never tried any of the newer broiler types like Dixie Rainbows/Pioneers or Freedom Rangers. I love Polish, but I think you have to be careful what other breeds you mix them with because of the crest pulling. I like bantams too and I bet they would be practical for a home flock with limited space. I think Sebrights are beautiful but I've read that they have issues. I personally would pick bantam versions of some of the standard breeds if I were to go with bantams.

My RIR girls died at about 5 from reproductive issues. They were evidently bred for high egg production. So since my flock is mainly for pets, I wouldn't purposely buy them, although I have some crossbreeds that came with a group purchase. The boys were aggressive. I have not had good luck with hardiness of Welsummers, which I have tried form 2 sources. My one remaining one is gorgeous, though. She lays a very small egg, that is not dark at all, and seems to have calcium builup on the end.

I don’t particularly care for Malays, Shamos, or Aseels/Asils. Their build is too bulky and sparsely feathered for my liking.
I know nothing of these breeds. Haven't had one, nor have I researched.

Hubby tried to show me seabrights, and they are pretty, but after researching them, nope.

Silkies make me laugh at their appearance. Naked necks and showgirls make me cringe looking at them.

Polish also make me laugh at the (fro) I do have one, and she's sweet, but not smart. I don't care for my CCL. She's way too aloof and doesn't care for people. Same with my Marans I love her look, however, also aloof and doesn't care for people. These two are the only ones who have to be chased back into the run. All the others come running behind me to get their treats.

My most personable ones are new hens to me. I didn't raise them at all. They were a year and a half when I got them 2 months back. They're regular layers, enjoy being around me follow me around, and are mutts. One is Australorp/Cochin, and the other is Barred Rock/Cochin.
My EE roo, seems to be Ameracuana/Marans is sweet, and doesn't crow all day long or too loudly.

All my hatchery chicks died, so can't comment on their breeds. Two my dog killed upon escape of the run, and 2 died as failure to thrive, or being born with Chronic Respiratory issue. They were Wyandotte and Orpington.

I'm awaiting the arrival of my Araucanas. I love the idea of them, but time will tell if I like the breed or not.

My Polish got a brain injury after bumble foot, so crested breeds won't be in my future.

Last edited:
I don’t particularly care for Malays, Shamos, or Aseels/Asils. Their build is too bulky and sparsely feathered for my liking.

But you can interact with the Oriental games on a much higher level than the mere barnyard fowl. It's their intelligence and nobility that sets them apart. There are many varieties, not all "bulky and sparsely feathered."

Back
Top Bottom