What Chicken Breeds do you Dislike & Why?

Pics
I dislike all of the MLM/pyramid scheme breeds. You know the ones.If you want unique birds, then getting on the waiting list for the same unique birds that everyone else wants is a surefire way to destroy their uniqueness. But, the hatching eggs are worth "x"! Sorry, but they won't be once everybody gets them all hatched out and every single female comes into production.
I would like to see more people settle on fewer breeds or land races and maintain / select to provide something under prevailing conditions of the area they are kept. Too much reliance on hatchery stock is weeding out some good genetics by chance alone. Trade brood fowl, young and eggs with your neighbors. Too many breeds make so none will be worth much in the long run.

Ahhh, gotcha. Thanks so much for the info. I have definitely found that Leghorns don't take changes in keeper very well; after trying that route once, I never will again! It was like a completely different breed. Even my Ameraucanas eventually settled in. Not them. Nutters. I too expect to be able to handle every single bird without very much fuss.

That may well be the case. I think that's still a strike against them for me. I don't have the space to raise a lot of breeds so I have to buy pullets or special order chicks or eggs from someone and put a lot of effort into raising them and the latter is just less worth while. They lay like a boss and scrappy isn't a bad attitude to have, but you hit the nail on the head with bad for my situation. And probably for other people in situations similar to mine.

I would like to see more people settle on fewer breeds or land races and maintain / select to provide something under prevailing conditions of the area they are kept. Too much reliance on hatchery stock is weeding out some good genetics by chance alone. Trade brood fowl, young and eggs with your neighbors. Too many breeds make so none will be worth much in the long run.
:goodpost:

I never could get myself to like silkies or Polish. I just don't like all of that jangly poof on their heads. They look like people with bad hairdos.

I don't like Muscovy ducks, primarily because they're feral all over Florida and they make a mess in public places. Then people talk about them negatively and it creates a culture of dislike towards them that is infectious. Its hard to like something that most people around you regard as vermin (sorry no offense meant to Muscovy owners, that's just how they're regarded in Florida).

I never could get myself to like silkies or Polish. I just don't like all of that jangly poof on their heads. They look like people with bad hairdos.

I don't like Muscovy ducks, primarily because they're feral all over Florida and they make a mess in public places. Then people talk about them negatively and it creates a culture of dislike towards them that is infectious. Its hard to like something that most people around you regard as vermin (sorry no offense meant to Muscovy owners, that's just how they're regarded in Florida).
Same thing with me and Geese.

Back
Top Bottom