What chickens : colors make blue laced red wyndottes.

The other poster is wanting to know about breeding a blue to BLR.
Not what I would do but you can explain it. Lots of different genes involved in that cross and you can explain it better and more detailed then me.

How is breeding to SLW better than yo GLW? The SLW may carry unwanted red diluters/inhibitors, ay Best the F1 pullets Will look identical ti the BLR x GLR F1, but the males Will be way off

View attachment 2124075
I personally wouldn't breed to the silver.
You'll still have the same issue with the red whether bred to the gold or the silver. Breeding to the silver will bring in the silver gene which would need bred out. Breeding to the gold at least has gold which the red also needs.
Its best to stay as close as possible to the color youre wanting so you don't have to breed out genes.
Oh, sorry, I didn’t know that silver laced can have genes that affect the red. Though, if the OP is just breeding for fun, not to show or sell, they could really breed to either gold or silver laced and get birds that look pretty close to blue laced red.

Also the Blue Laced Gold seem to be a thing in Australia

It's "a thing" here in the US also, but that's because people cross Blue-laced Reds with Gold-laced. A true Blue-laced Red Wyandotte should have the mahogany gene that makes the red an actual red, and not a gold. Many of the BLRW I see now, versus the ones I bred fifteen years ago are not correctly colored.

These birds:

http://www.foleyswaterfowl.com/blue-laced-red-wyandottes.html

...are what Blue-laced Red should look like. If you're breeding BLRW and getting the Black-laced Reds and that red looks gold, then they aren't true BLRW to me.

I wouldn't cross in additional colors. BLRW are much more common now (although quality birds are not) so it shouldn't be too difficult to cross them to the correct color.

It's "a thing" here in the US also, but that's because people cross Blue-laced Reds with Gold-laced. A true Blue-laced Red Wyandotte should have the mahogany gene that makes the red an actual red, and not a gold. Many of the BLRW I see now, versus the ones I bred fifteen years ago are not correctly colored..
I remember like 15 years ago the BLRW was a craze.. From where did they sourced the Mahogany red enhancers? From Red Partridge Wyandottes?

Last edited:
I have blue laced reds I was just curious . I also Have sliver laced and golden laced . I’m just trying to learn cause feels like there is a lot floating around that aren’t bred right .

It's "a thing" here in the US also, but that's because people cross Blue-laced Reds with Gold-laced. A true Blue-laced Red Wyandotte should have the mahogany gene that makes the red an actual red, and not a gold. Many of the BLRW I see now, versus the ones I bred fifteen years ago are not correctly colored.

These birds:

...are what Blue-laced Red should look like. If you're breeding BLRW and getting the Black-laced Reds and that red looks gold, then they aren't true BLRW to me.

I wouldn't cross in additional colors. BLRW are much more common now (although quality birds are not) so it shouldn't be too difficult to cross them to the correct color.

I checked out that link and it said that they all had been sold. I wonder who has the Foley line of them now?

I remember like 15 years ago the BLRW was a craze.. From where did they sourced the Mahogany red enhancers? From Red Partridge Wyandottes?

Yeah, 15 years ago, back when eggbid.com was still a thing six hatching eggs were selling for $54.00. Marans, Welsummers, Barnevelders, Blue-laced-Red Wyandottes, and Penedesencas were all booming back then.

I'm honestly not sure where the mahogany gene was obtained from in the initial crosses to develop them, I've not done much research into it, especially as I no longer breed them. I'd imagine the Partridge Wyandottes would have been a good place to start though.

I have blue laced reds I was just curious . I also Have sliver laced and golden laced . I’m just trying to learn cause feels like there is a lot floating around that aren’t bred right .

Learning is always good, especially when it comes to genetics. It's important to remember though when breeding for quality, and not quantity, it's not about the money you're trying to make selling birds, but the pride you feel when you look at a really well-bred bird you produced yourself.

I checked out that link and it said that they all had been sold. I wonder who has the Foley line of them now?

I know that @Egghead_Jr has some Foley line birds. I imagine they liquidated their stock to several breeders. There used to be several members on here (15 years ago) that had some truly beautiful birds.

These birds:

Those birds are beautiful! I prefer to not outcross either. People work hard for years to improve and perfect a breed. Why mess up something so nice? I can see why Foleys Waterfowl stopped selling their birds.

Back
Top Bottom